Install onto Dynamic Stripe? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a tablet pc set up with 2 solid state drives that are each ~16GB attached through an adapter to the primary IDE bus and another 16gb drive in the PC card slot. I'm trying to install Vista enterprise onto the computer but i want to be able to stripe at least the 2 drives on the IDE bus. There is no built in RAID on the tablet (obviously) but i wanted to do it with dynamic disks. When i'm in the disk manager in the Vista installer, i don't have the option to convert the disks to dynamic and set up any dynamic volumes... There is the option to extend a volume, but it is always greyed out. To me, it seems like such a setup is very possible, but i can't figure out how to get the system to allow me to do this. I have a usb to 2.5'' ide adapter, but i don't think it'll let me convert the drives to dynamic that way on another vista machine because they would show up as removable and not fixed drives.

Has anyone else tried something similar? i can't be the first one...

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Neither Windows Vista or Windows XP supports installation on dynamic discs.  Please read the following:

The option to upgrade a basic disk to a dynamic disk is not available on a portable computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232463/en-us

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:45 PM
  • So it won't install even if it is not a portable computer? i had trouble installing onto the one simple 16gb drive, and i finally figured out how to get into the recovery console in the vista setup and use diskpart to create the dynamic volumes and the stripe is setup correctly across both drives, but now windows setup will not recognize it as a valid install location...

so what would be the smallest partition i can set to install windows onto that i would be able to use the remaining space as a dynamic span? 12GB? 10? or should i just use the full 16 and see what happens?

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:59 PM
  • In all reality, Windows Vista will perform best when installed on a single hard drive with just one partition....the partition it is installed on.  Also, Windows Vista Enterprise requires at least a 40GB drive for installation.  Your 16GB drives would not even be adequate for the installation of Vista.

Windows Vista Enterprise Hardware Planning Guidance

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905075.aspx

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:02 PM