none
What technology should I use? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create an web app to do the following:

• user would nav to website & chose "create firmware stick"
    • prompt user to insert USB stick
    • format the USB stick as Linux Ext2
    • copy the firmware update to stick in a sector by sector manner using dd.

I have an existing winforms exe that does all of this but would like to host it so that user does not need to install the app.

Can someone please get me started.

Steve

Friday, July 4, 2014 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you need to write a browser plugin/addon to communicate with the host operating system that controls access to the local file system.

win,android,iOS etc.

then you need to publish the plugin/addon to your visitors, who will have to install it from your website before they can use it from their web/browser.

probably a six month commitment to achieve this is required.

such questions would be better asked in a programming forum or you can research the web to find an existing site that does what you want to do and then mimic it.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:05 AM

All replies

• Steve,

This is the TechNet Forum for questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10 and 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

For better assistance please ask for help in the MSDN IE Development Forums.

Thanks & Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Friday, July 4, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

you need to write a browser plugin/addon to communicate with the host operating system that controls access to the local file system.

win,android,iOS etc.

then you need to publish the plugin/addon to your visitors, who will have to install it from your website before they can use it from their web/browser.

probably a six month commitment to achieve this is required.

such questions would be better asked in a programming forum or you can research the web to find an existing site that does what you want to do and then mimic it.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, July 5, 2014 1:05 AM