Exchange 2010 EMC administrator rights issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who is unable to use the Exchange Management Console that is installed on their workstation due to lack of permissions.   I have 2 users in the same OU who have identical Security Groups and when user 1 logs in, they can access everything fine.  user 2 logs in and opens EMC and does not have sufficient permissions.

If this same problematic user logs in  to the server via RDP with their same user credentials, it works fine.  This tells me the Security Groups/Permissions configured in AD are correct, however something is wrong with the users workstation.  However the fact that another user with the same permissions CAN access the EMC from that workstation, has me boggled.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi

Is the server that EMC is trying to connect to valid?  I have found that sometimes when a PC is located in a different site to the Exchange server it picks a random one in the organisation and your user may not have rights on that machine.  Deleting this key (with the EMC closed) fixes the issue I'm describing but it may not work in your case: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Exchangeserver\v14\AdminTools\NodeStructureSettings.

Steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:13 PM

All replies

• Can the 2nd user log in on the 1st user's machine? Does the EMC work?

Are you sure the 2nd user's machine is joined to the correct domain? Are both workstations in the same AD site?

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please double confirm the points that Rich Matheisen mentoined.

Please also try to create a new test user and give proper permissions to have a test.

If the test user can log in, I suggest re-creating the 2nd user for testing.

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:47 AM
  • I am having them test the 2nd user on the first users machine. Awaiting their response and will update the thread when I hear back.  
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:59 PM
  • The 2nd user works fine on the first user machine.   So the 2nd user works on what appears to be any other workstation/server, but this one particular one.  Still seems strange that user 1 works on the problematic machine. This is a single domain/site setup, so that is the only one in question.  I'll try removing it from the domain and re-joining.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Hi

Is the server that EMC is trying to connect to valid?  I have found that sometimes when a PC is located in a different site to the Exchange server it picks a random one in the organisation and your user may not have rights on that machine.  Deleting this key (with the EMC closed) fixes the issue I'm describing but it may not work in your case: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Exchangeserver\v14\AdminTools\NodeStructureSettings.

Steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:13 PM
  • And it that doesn't work, remove User 2's Windows profile from the machine.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:25 AM