SQL Discovery and 4001 Event ID RRS feed

• Question

• Hello :)

I see the following in the OpsMgr log

DiscoverSQL2005DBEngineDiscovery.vbs : The Query 'select * from __NAMESPACE where Name ='ComputerManagement'' returned an invalid result set.  Please check to see if this is a valid WMI Query.. Object required

To me the above syntax of the WQL query looks incorrect (leaving the query itself to one side) I believe the syntax should be

"select * from __NAMESPACE where Name ='ComputerManagement'"

i.e. open and close the query with double quotes

The reason I am I thinking this is (A) I am getting the above error in the OpsMgr log and (B) using PowerShell for example (we will take a different query, but the syntax is the same) you would type

Get-WmiObject -Query "select FreeSpace FROM win32_logicalDisk WHERE DeviceID='C:'"

So question is, is there a bug in the SQL MP (I am using version 6.3.173.0)

Any thoughts please?

Ernie

Sunday, July 15, 2012 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Ernie,

I didn't find any bug related with this kind of error message. Could you paste the whole error message here? So I can help you to find some more accurate information.

Furthermore, here is an article may help you:

Basic troubleshooting of discovery scripts
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2010/03/09/basic-troubleshooting-of-discovery-scripts.aspx

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 16, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the reply Yog

I will post the error message tomorrow if I get a change, thanks again I will also go over Kevin post

Ernie

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hello Ernie,

Is there any information updated? We’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hi Yog, sorry for the delay been busy, please see the full message below. Perhaps it is a simple case of a discovery script running  a check for an instance of SQL and as SQL has not been installed on this Server then the namespace does not exist, hence the message. If that is the case why not suppress the error in the log

DiscoverSQL2008DBEngineDiscovery.vbs : The Query 'select * from SqlService where SQLServiceType ='1'' did not return any valid instances.  Please check to see if this is a valid WMI Query.. Invalid class

I am on holiday for a couple of weeks, catch up when I get back

thanks again
    Ernie

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Was there ever a solution?
    Friday, February 7, 2014 1:07 PM