none
PE does not start on heavy loaded Win10Pro machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

using PE since years to administrate several machines I can't thing beeing without such a tool :-)

Problem: On heavy utilized machines (Win10 64, ~50 users connected via Remote Desktop, approxx. 2000 processes, 1500000 handles) PE does not start. 
    procexp64.exe shows up for ~30 sec in the process list after it disappears. Startet from an elevated CMD, Errorlevel = 0.

Right after Reboot of the machine and if not that much ressources are used, PE works as intended.

Is there some limit where usage of PE is not feasible any more?

Regards,
    Franz

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:42 AM

All replies

• If Errorlevel = 0 then probably PE choose to exit because it was unable to allocate memory or load the device driver or both.. in that case you may find something logged in the Application or System Event Log.

Clearly PE is a huge application using a lot of RAM especially if there are so many process running.. so you have to look at Task Manager or RamMap at the Free column.

If Free is 0 or almost 0, try empty the different sets of memory.. in most cases, you should be able to gain a lot of free memory and at that point PE will start correctly.

In my case a quick empty and then refresh reached this results:

Is just for cases like your that I'm asking from several years to implement in RamMap the command abvailable in the Empty menu as command line items, so to quickly release and free the memory when the system is under stress.., but it is still in the To Do List.. :-(

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi Mario

actually we recently added the command line switched to RAMMAP but Mark wanted to defer the publication of this and changes to other tools for the latest tranche of updates to reduce the number of changes we publish in one go. If you ping me offline at syssite@microsoft.com I can make a copy available to you for review..

MarkC(MSFT)

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:03 AM