Web Application content match failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have web applications configured for 7 production web servers and we periodically receive notification that a content match fails on one of the servers.  When the notification is received by our ops team the on-call member is able to log into the site without an issue.  On top of this we have a redundant system monitoring all the same site which does not fail or trigger an alert.  I'm attempting to identify why these monitors are failing and to only send pager notification if the site is really down.  I have configured the retry count on the entire web app to '2' and run the test every 3 minutes but I’m still seeing what appears to be a false positive for these monitors.

Are there any suggestions on how to configure a web app monitor so that it does not send an alert until it fails twice and to see what data is on the web page when a content match fails?

Thanks!
    • Edited by sox203 Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the alert you get is for the content of the page, I think you can disable that check and then configure the web application to only generate alerts if the http status is unreachable.
    --

Anders Bengtsson
    Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager
    www.contoso.se
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:21 PM

• Thank you but I need the content match active as well, I just need to understand how to tune the monitor to avoid false positives.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:27 PM
  • If you look at the alert and the health explorer, can you see what did trigger the content check to generate an alert?
    You could try raise the re-try count a little bit more, to make sure it checks some more times before it generates an alert.

--

Anders Bengtsson
    Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager
    www.contoso.se
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:39 PM
  • it's failing on the second content match test which is post login to the site.  Ideally  I'd like to see the content that it's failing on but I have not figured out how to add that parameter to the notification details?

so far I have changed the retry count to 4 but the check is still failing on my test monitor.

Friday, August 21, 2009 4:05 PM