How does one rename new folders that don't want to be renamed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Windows 7 Pro, if I create a new folder, and it doesnt matter where, I cannot rename it. Everytime I try I get a message saying that the folder or a file within the folder is in use. The thing is...these are newly created and they have no content. I tried creating one for my favorites bar that I want to call "Daily Reads" and even an hour after creating it, when I try to rename it, I get the same error message and I cannot rename these. Consequently, I keep having these new folders all over the place. Do I need to log in as the ADMIN in order to rename folders? One wouldn't think so but hey...what do I know.

Thanks,
    john

There's a black lab under my desk
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:45 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for reading and for your suggestions. I'm not sure how because I did nothing different but the problem went away as mysteriously as it started. In order for it to work correctly, I merely have to have IE closed.If I open IE, it blocks renaming of folders.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:51 AM

All replies

• What you describe is not the normal behavior of Windows.  Something in particular about your system is causing the problem.

Do you have any Shell Extensions installed that might be scanning it for content right after you create it? 

Perhaps your antivirus software is doing this?  What AV software do you have?

Are you creating the folder in the Navigation or Details pane of Explorer?

Can you please list the exact steps to reproduce the problem.

-Noel
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you refer to the link below to take ownership of the local drive and check whether the new created folder can be renamed. Also, please assure the Properties of the folder is not read-only.

Take ownership of file/folder

Thanks,

Novak

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Thank you all for reading and for your suggestions. I'm not sure how because I did nothing different but the problem went away as mysteriously as it started. In order for it to work correctly, I merely have to have IE closed.If I open IE, it blocks renaming of folders.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:51 AM