RSoP on remote machine returns RPC error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an interesting dilema with Remote Admin Mgmt on certain computers throughout my domain. GPO is setup to allow Remote Admin exception, ICMP (ping), RDP, etc which seems to work only on machines that are on constantly. I can use certain parts of the MMC console but whenever I try to run RSoP Wizard > Computer Settings, I get RPC Server is unavailable on those machines that I can administer remotely.

Also, with some machines in the same OU I cannot manage remotely. The only difference being those machines are shutdown more often than those I can manage. I've always assumed they were powered down but after setting up WSUS I see that they in fact are not powered off and that policy that is newer than the Firewall Exceptions is being applied to these computers. These same computers that I cannot manage remotely cannot be remoted into though I can ping. I'm also using RGPRefresh to update GP remotely, which again works for those machines I've assumed to be always on but not those that I've assumed to be powered off (though they are in fact powered on).

Don't think I could make that any more confusing.

• Edited by philamonster Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:01 PM spelling
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:00 PM

Answers