Getting Active Directory property ‎'homeMDB‎' is not writeable on recipient during migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone, I have set up 2016exchange using the assistant.microsoft.com instructions, i have a parent domain and two child, during migration of the mail boxes from the old exchange 2010 to exchange 2016 I am getting failed Active Directory property ‎'homeMDB‎' is not writeable on recipient on pretty much all accounts, now I have checked that the the user accounts and OU's all have inheritable permissions and they do, I have also made sure that the 2 exchange servers are members of the Exchange Servers and Exchange Trusted Sub Systems role groups. The Parent users and one of the child domain accounts went accross not an issue.

Its driving me insane, some users are moving (very few) and the rest get this error, I open the AD accounts and check everything and they are the same!

• Edited by Richard TKIS Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:36 PM more info
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the detailed version of your Exchange 2010 and 2016? You can check with the following command:

Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}

Where Exchange 2010 and 2016 are located, child or parent domain?

How did you move the mailbox? You can post the commands you used.

You also can try with these commands to move a mailbox to check if the issue persists. Then you can check the report of the move request for more details:

New-MoveRequest -Identity "<user name>" -TargetDatabase "<target mailbox database>" 
    Get-MoveRequestStatistics -Identity <MoveRequestIdParameter> | fl 
    Get-MoveRequestStatistics -Identity <MoveRequestIdParameter> -IncludeReport| FL report

You can post the error information and move report here, but don't forget to cover your personal information

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 2:12 AM
  • Exchange 2010 - 14.03.0469.000

Exchange 2016 - 15.01.1979.003

Both are on the parent domain

For migration I used the 2016 ECP....Recipients-migration and created a move batch

I recieved this while running the New-MoveRequest, the user is on the child domain Acad.domain.local

New-MoveRequest -Identity "Carl.Sagan@domain.vic.edu.au" -TargetDatabase "Academic2016"
    The operation couldn't be performed because object 'Carl.Sagan@domain.vic.edu.au' couldn't be found on
    'domainDC3.domain.local'.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-MoveRequest], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=WEBMAIL,RequestId=9134de40-8d18-4660-92a3-b83f713ca1b3,TimeStamp=1/04/2020 2:52:
       46 AM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] A3DD8F40,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Migration
      .MailboxReplication.MoveRequest.NewMoveRequest
        + PSComputerName        : webmail.domain.local

I added : Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True

and tried again and i get:

New-MoveRequest -Identity "Carl.Sagan@domain.vic.edu.au" -TargetDatabase "Academic2016"
    Active Directory property 'homeMDB' is not writeable on recipient
    'Acad.domain.local/Acad.domain.local/Users/Staff/AXP'.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-MoveRequest], RemotePermanentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=WEBMAIL,RequestId=c72b81a0-8d03-457e-b6fb-217fde6ee3f8,TimeStamp=1/04/2020 4:26:
       43 AM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-RemotePermanentException] 870F43B4,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Migration.MailboxR
      eplication.MoveRequest.NewMoveRequest
        + PSComputerName        : webmail.domain.local

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 3:03 AM
  • Since Exchange forum is a public platform, we helped you cover your domain name. Please don't forget to hide the personal information next time.

Do only mailboxes with account in one specific child domain have issues when move to Exchange 2016?

Please contrast the permissions on Security page of the user account with the mailbox moved successfully, check if there are any differences for permissions. Check the permission settings of the OU as well.

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:34 AM
  • Thanks Lydia I noticed you covered them.

Yes only one child domain is having issues, the parent and other child was fine. I am continuously rerunning the batch and random ones are completing, while all the rest get the "homeMDB" error.

I have compared security setting on all the OU and user accounts with each other (same child domain with ones that complete) and with the other child domain (which worked fine) and I cannot find anything that is different.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 11:19 AM
  • Try to force AD replication manually, then test again.

If the issue persists, please check the homeMDB attribute, copy the value to other place and clear homeMDB, then move the mailbox again. To avoid affecting users, you can create a new mailbox with an account in the child domain to test.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 3, 2020 6:48 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 7:58 AM
  • Lydia,

I have do the force replication and the removal of the homeMDB attribute and non of these made any difference :( Each time i run a batch some are completing and others are failing, slowly getting there, but this is still a pain, I have to keep checking the migration stat and restart batches continuously. Thank you for all your suggestions. If you have any more I am eager to know.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:21 AM
  • Try to create a new OU and make sure the inheritance is enabled, then move some accounts to that new OU to test again.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, April 10, 2020 4:59 AM
  • Lydia,

Created new OU's in the main tree of the domain, Inheritance is enabled...still same error on migration.

Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:16 AM
  • Do you use the Administrator account in the parent domain to perform the migration? If so, try to create a new administrator account with the same permission, to test if mailboxes can be move successfully.

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:39 AM
  • New administrator account in the parent or the child?
    Friday, April 17, 2020 3:22 AM