none
PerformancePoint with PowerPivot 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone had any luck being able to build a data source against a PowerPivot file with the SQL Server 2012 RC0 add-in?  I tried with CTP3 and with RC0 and I am not having any luck.  I can create a data source against a Tabular SSAS database, but not against a PowerPivot file.  With the PowerPivot files I can of course create Power View and Report Builder reports, but nothing with PerformancePoint. I wanted to explore using the KPIs, hierarchies, and drill through.

Here is the connection string format I am using that works with Report Builder - DATA SOURCE=http://ServerName/PowerPivot%20Gallery/AdventureWorksDW_PP.xlsx

I have tried the option to include PROVIDER information and that doesn't work either.

The error message I keep getting is the following:

An error occurred connecting to this data source. Please check the data source for any unsaved changes and click on Test Data Source button to confirm connection to the data source.

I am using a sandbox server and the Administrator account that is running everything.  I can do everything else in PerformancePoint with the exception of connecting to a PowerPivot file.  Is this a known issue and is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Dan,

I have a few questions to ask you: 

1.  Do you have Claims to Windows Service running on your PowerPivot server? 

2.  Are you using Kerberos?

3.  Are you using Per-Identity or Unattended Account?

I have not heard of this error being specific to SQL Server 2012 RC0. 

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:33 PM
  • I should have followed up. The SSAS and PPS teams worked on this troubleshooting and the resolution is to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 ADOMD.NET client on the server.  Once that is installed you will need to do an iisreset and you should then be able to create data sources against PowerPivot files with the SQL Server 2012 add-in.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2011/12/21/will-sql-server-quot-denali-quot-models-work-as-performancepoint-data-sources.aspx

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by Dan English Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 10:55 PM