Prevent automatic document opening when creating new document in a library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a document library and customized the New Word document template.

I need to prevent SharePoint Online to automatically open the newly created document when I press "New" button. I want to open it manually because I need to set some columns value (to which I refer into the document) before opening the document.

Is it possible to stop automatic opening of newly created documents? Is it possible to force opening it with Word application on my PC (so that I can run a macro on opening) instead of the limited web app?

Thank you.

Plo

Monday, March 2, 2020 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Paolone67,

I don’t think it’s possible to stop automatically opening documents when you create new documents by default. As a workaround, you could use a workflow or a flow to create documents automatically in the library.

If you want to open created documents in the client application instead of office online, go to Site settings -> Site collection features -> activate Open Documents in Client Applications by Default feature, go to Library settings -> Advanced settings -> set Open in the client application.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 6:48 AM