none
downloading MS Office files on Internet Explorer - sudden problem! RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly we've had numerous calls from users on one of the websites we manage, reporting an issue when trying to download MS Office files within the member login section of the site (it's a PHP-driven, password protected area which uses .htaccess). What happens is this: they click on a link to a Word or Excel document. They get a security warning (the file type may contain viruses etc), then click Open. Instead of opening the document, it opens a downloaded copy of our member login page in the Office application. However, right-clicking on the file and Save Target As... works fine. In all other browsers the downloads work fine. Unfortunately though, the problem seems to be quite random. We uploaded a batch of new files at the end of last week, all of which seem to be causing the issue for the majority of users, but some people are reporting the files download OK. Some older files, i.e. those that have been on the server for ages, download fine, others don't. I'm using IE9 and have downloaded a few files at random - some are OK, some aren't. All the people who have so far reported this problem seem to be using IE9 on Windows 7 although I can't be 100% sure. I need a way of fixing this server-side - none of the suggestions about changing browser security settings etc have worked for me.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the issue with different versions of Internet Explorer and let us know the results.

You can also try Compatibility View:

Use Compatibility View in Internet Explorer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-9

Meanwhile, I think the issue is related to the design. If you need help on checking the design side, please visit MSDN forum:

Microsoft Developer Network Forums
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/categories

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 26, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Checked the same pages in IE10 on Windows 8 and everything works fine. I don't have access to any other versions of IE but from the people who have so far reported the problem, they've all been using IE9 and I think all are on Windows 7. It also works fine in every other browser and up until a couple of weeks ago there was no issue in IE9 either - this has just started happening for no reason and some of the downloadable files have been on there for months or years. I'm not getting the Compatibility View icon which I think means it's already on?

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:31 PM