APPV 4.6: MS-Project 2010 SP1 run as Administrator fine, Error while clsoing as Domain User, EVENT-ID: 300 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 64BIT (All german)
    • APPV4.6 Sp1 latest HF
    • MS project 2010 SP1 as APPV
    • MS Office 2010 SP1 FULLY localy installed
    • %APPDATA% Fully reidirected
    • Immidio Flexprofiles

When i open the MS Project 2010 SP1 as "Administrator" or "Domain Admin" everything runs fine. When i run it as a regular Domain User and close it just after opening. I recieve an error. There is not document open at that point when we close.

"Microsoft Project kann die Datein nicht finden"

"Microsoft Project can't find the file" (Free translated)

I have already looked around with Filemon/ProcessExplorer but did not find to much which would help. I have seen the posting for the kind of normal.dot for Project but not sure if it's smart to search in that direction.

Any help welcome and thank you for reading until here ;-)

Greetings from Switzerland

Microsoft Project
    Microsoft Project kann die Datei nicht finden. Führen Sie eine der folgenden Maßnahmen durch: • Überprüfen Sie Ihre Netzwerkverbindungen und versuchen Sie es erneut. • Klicken Sie auf "OK" und klicken Sie dann auf der Registerkarte "Datei" auf "Speichern unter", um die Datei unter einem anderen Namen oder an einer anderen Stelle zu speichern.

EVENT-ID: 300

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:07 AM

Answers

• When you excluded %CSIDL_APPDATA% from the package, did you update the existing package a create a new one? if it's the same package, you might be best deleting the user's PKG file for that package before testing.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:50 PM

All replies

• Do both administrators and users have AppData redirected? Have you tested without redirecting this folder?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:12 AM
  • Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your anwser.

No only the "Domain User" has the full %APPDATA% redirected. The Administrator (Or special account) is local Profile only.

If i choose a regular "Non Local Admin" and "Non Domain Admin" account it works too.

So it has to do with %APPDATA% Redirection.

I have gone through the files with Process Explorer but did not find the particular file which blocks.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:25 PM
  • It might be worth testing with a standard user account that does not have AppData redirected.

If you are unable to put AppData back to the local disk (and roam the data within AppData with Flex Profiles instead) then re-sequencing Project while adding %CSIDL_APPDATA% as an exclusion might be something to look into.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Hello,

Ok, so these are the files which are handeld when you open Project and close. As example "Global.MPT" which is some kind of normal.dot for Project. BUT > all are flagged as "User Data" which is correct.

1) I have searched through "Virtual Regsitry" if the account under wich we sequences is located somewhere > None except Registration (username)

2) All the mentioned VFS things which could be important are "User" flagged

3) The account we sequences was a "Domain account" BUT NO %APPDATA% Redirection.

I will try with the Eception you told me.

It's unlclear from all available "whitepapers" if for MS Project and Visio YOU have to set "Local Interaction" to TRUE as with the main office package.

Thank you

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:17 AM
  • The general recommendation from Microsoft is to put Office, Project and Visio into the same package, so I would assume that LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED should be set to true if Project or Visio are sequenced separately.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Just trying with:

1) Local Interaction = TRUE

2) Ripped out all Files UNDER "VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA"

The first time i could OPEN and close Project.

The second time when the CUSTOM.DIC and other files are made (After the first close)

Same error. The Error just went one step back because he in the first runs generates those files.

user has write/change permissions on that folder and folder so NTFS perm. are ok.

I also did see: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/77b80fc6-aa86-46af-9034-ef4a293ee497

Where Project was localy installed and then he tried with APPV. It's unlear if this was related to the Binaries existing or Registry entries FROM the local installed version.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Ok i am one step forward and 20 Steps back to using Processmonitor to debug MSI Packages like we had before. Now only it's called Virtualisation ;-) Now the Technet Papers DOES not contain those Folders. There is a whitepaper from "Kelway" By ;-) Aaron Parker (I guess you ;-.) cotains the Directories / Page 45, shows the Directories which are not mentioined by MS. However the specific Folder which we talk here is also not mentioned there.

Maybe you just need to generate the: \\win7$\profiledata\appdata\microsoft\MS Project\ and the rest is ok.

It's also unclear from both dokus that you may have to use the same options for Visio or Project Standalone.

Here is how we found out:

First he can't find:

\\win7$\profiledata\appdata\microsoft\MS Project\14\1031\

1) Created the DIR

Then he can't find the file himself:

\win7$\profiledata\appdata\microsoft\MS Project\14\1031\global.mpt

2) Copyed the Default file from the Sequencing Machine.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Uh a new permission error. He wants to modify the Autocorrect files from office 2010. Not a NTFS perm. problem. Even with "Everyone" set to full.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:07 PM
  • He tries to update the specific file on the q: Drive. However the Project itself shows the %APPDATA%. I know that he tries several locations.

Primary would be %APPDATA% for us because we want it shared with Office (Local Installed). If i can handle out that we completly DISABLE Autocorrect in Project would that be an option to go?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Uh a new permission error. He wants to modify the Autocorrect files from office 2010. Not a NTFS perm. problem. Even with "Everyone" set to full.

Is this a file in use issue rather than a permissions problem?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:41 PM
  • When you excluded %CSIDL_APPDATA% from the package, did you update the existing package a create a new one? if it's the same package, you might be best deleting the user's PKG file for that package before testing.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Mayb be if Office 2010 is local installed even with nothing open he may reference those files. But i could rename the specific.file so it should not be locked. Tools like unlocker also sees no handles.

However i still don't understand how the local office and the APPV Project share that file in realtime. I know you said that it's best to install both in the bubble.

1) I just deinstalled mcafee VSE so i am sure we have no file lokc from that side. Where the %APPDATA% lays (SAN) we have no virus scan (CIFS). > That was no a source for that error.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I have fully Excluded %CSIDL_APPDATA% from VFS and have set the Options you have mentioned in the Whitepaper. The only settinfs for

Project. Now it worked under the user. I can't say if the was the exlusion or the Option to store all the settings in the Registry.

Thank you

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:58 AM