Server 2008 R2

Ip Address: 192.168.1.100

Mask: 255.255.255.0

On th host Adapter i have configured the Network card as follows

Ip Address: 192.168.1.100

Mask: 255.255.255.0

*****PROBLEM*****

When i ping from VM to VM the ping times out, and there is no reply

however on the VM that is being pinged it shows that its receiving the ping packets.

Also i can ping the Host computer sucessfully and Vises versa

I have tried isolating the VMs by Connecting them to a private Switch but they have the same

behaviour

Please help!

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Internal network virtual switch will not share communication between Hyper-V host and VM.

You need vSwitch with External network + "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter"

Second thing between VMs, you need to enable Firewall rule, that will allow ICMP packet to go through.

Check wf.msc on your VMs and File and Printer sharing (Excho request - ICMPv4 In) if this rule is Enabled.

Radek

Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:47 AM
  • "Internal network virtual switch will not share communication between Hyper-V host and VM. "

Yes, Internal virtual switch shares a switch between Hyper-V host and guest VMs.  A Private virtual switch does not.  For communication between the host and guests, both host and guest must have virtual NIC on the internal virtual switch and be on the same subnet.

Otherwise, suggestion to check firewall rule is valid.  Windows Server has the ICMP (ping) firewall rules disabled by default.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Internal virtual networks are used where you want to allow communications between:
    1. Virtual machine to virtual machine on the same physical server 
    2. Virtual machine to parent partition

>When i ping from VM to VM the ping times out, and there is no reply. however on the VM that is being pinged it shows that its receiving the ping packets.
    When you ping, you send an ICMP Echo message and get an ICMP Echo Reply message in response. It seems that ICMP Echo Reply message is not sent, or, it has been blocked by ICMP sender. 

Check “CMP Echo Reply message” to see if it is helpful:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749323(v=ws.10).aspx

Test Network Connection with Ping and PathPing, section - Request Timed Out:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940095.aspx

Besides, you can install Network Monitor (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865) on both VMs to capture packets of Ping, check the details of ICMP packets.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:42 AM