none
Importing from Excel-Two columns into one for Summary tasks and tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007.  I am using Project 2007.  The first column is the summary task (in this case a project code), the second column is the task under each summary task.  Is there any way, when doing the import to indicate that these two columns belong in the same column in Project, just at a different level.

In Excel
    Summary     Task
    12345         Study for Test
    12345         Take Test

65432         Clean Table
    65432         Do Dishes

In Project
        Study for test
        Take Test
        Clean Table
        Do Dishes

I want to have to avoid doing this manually as I have over 500 records to deal with in my spreadsheet.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:47 PM

Answers

• Kytublue --

My gut reaction is that this Excel file is not properly set up for import into a Microsoft Project 2007 project file.  The assumption of the Import/Export Wizard in Microsoft Project 2007 is that each row in the Excel workbook represents a task, a resource, or an assignment.  I do not know of any way to get it to understand the structure of your Excel workbook so that it can properly import the data.  Thought this is not news you might want to hear, given the fact that the Excel workbook has over 500 records in it, I think you will need to rework this Excel spreadsheet to get it ready for importing into a project file.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:22 PM

All replies

• When doing the import, you can define the fields being imported.  Have you tried concatenating fields when defining fields. 

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:23 PM
  • I have defined the fields being imported but I didn't find anything where I could indicate that the selection was task level 1 and task level 2 so that it would import in the same column.  I don't think concatenating would work as I want the task level 2's to import in the same column but on a different line than the task level 1 data.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Kytublue --

My gut reaction is that this Excel file is not properly set up for import into a Microsoft Project 2007 project file.  The assumption of the Import/Export Wizard in Microsoft Project 2007 is that each row in the Excel workbook represents a task, a resource, or an assignment.  I do not know of any way to get it to understand the structure of your Excel workbook so that it can properly import the data.  Thought this is not news you might want to hear, given the fact that the Excel workbook has over 500 records in it, I think you will need to rework this Excel spreadsheet to get it ready for importing into a project file.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I agree with Dale (how could I do otherwise?!). If it were me I would write a quick VBA routine to restructure teh tasks in Excel then import, Or combine teh summary and tak name into one column in Excel then VBA in Project to seperate them again and indent as required.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:32 PM
  • That would be great if I could write a quick VBA routine.  However, while I can manage some VBA, my skill level is such that it is not quick.  Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:15 PM