none
DPM 2016 Sync/RP Jobs VERY SLOW RRS feed

• Question

• Have been running DPM 2016 on Server 2016 with modern storage (no dedupe) for about six months (clean install on new HWD). Everything was been working fine until about a week ago. Now jobs take forever to complete. A sync of 300MB over 10Gb network takes 5 hours as an example. I have read several posts about a similar problem a few months ago related to a Server 2016 Cumulative Update. But the fix was to install 2017-05 Server update. So thinking it could be related and seeing that 2017-06 server update installed last week. I uninstalled 2017-06 and re-installed 2017-05. But I still have the same problem. As far as errors go I'm seeing a lot of the "Filter manager" errors for disk operation and the paging error below.

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\Harddisk18\DR463'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xC03A001C

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk20\DR461 during a paging operation.

Thus far I have rebooted all effected servers, stopped protection and added protection to PG's. DBCC on the database and validated my hardware and Storage Spaces health. I'm running RU2 for DPM 2016 and up to date with Windows patch (short of 2017-06 CU as mentioned above). CPU usage is low and memory is under 25%.

Anyone experiencing the same problem, found a solution? I can open a case with MS but its a last resort.

Thanks! K

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hello All,

Take a look at the DPM 2016 UR2 extreme slowdown post.  I know GeoTech had posted there as well.  It looks to be related to Windows Server 2016 and Windows Defender from what I've found.  Disabling Windows Defender scheduled scans and real time protection has restored our SCDPM server to full operation.

• Marked as answer by GeoTech Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:42 PM

All replies

• Opened ticket with MS yesterday. After eliminating potential problems (SQL 2016 SP1 not supported and two disk mtg utilities uninstalled), the focus is now on ReFS and a patch that was released earlier this year (KB4013429). My server had the patch, but registry settings the patch were supposed to create during its install were missing. However, after updating the registry and a reboot no improvement.

Friday, June 30, 2017 10:47 PM
  • I have similar problem after installing 2017-06 CU KB4022715. Now the job disk backup and tape backup are very slow. The backup job always start half hour without any data transmission. Also the console will freeze for an hour when i manually create recovery point.

I opened a case with MS but they said I rebooted the server when the backup jobs were running. I don't think it is root case. Still work with MS.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 1:38 AM
  • Hello All,

Take a look at the DPM 2016 UR2 extreme slowdown post.  I know GeoTech had posted there as well.  It looks to be related to Windows Server 2016 and Windows Defender from what I've found.  Disabling Windows Defender scheduled scans and real time protection has restored our SCDPM server to full operation.

• Marked as answer by GeoTech Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:42 PM
  • I just got back from vacation and had MS called me this morning advising turn off defender. Solved my problem also. Wow this process was painful. I did a full export db and rebuild of my DPM server.

I understand it is due to a defender engine update sent out recently. Engine updates are distributed like definition updates and will download and update without any approval process even if using a local WSUS server (and you have an automatic approval rule for definitions updates). Just happy I can go back to my day job now. K

Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Good to hear this resolved the issue.  I was not exactly happy with their suggestion to rebuild the entire SCDPM server so I spent a few days trying different solutions.  When Microsoft called me and I told them I resolved the issue by disabling Defender the technician said he had several other cases with the same issue and he was going to let them know as well.  I guess the SCDPM and Defender teams have some work to do!
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Hello GeoTech, could you provide the case ID with MS? I have similar issue too and need to check with the case owner.
    Friday, July 7, 2017 5:28 AM