Folders shown as exe files... in usb drives RRS feed

• Question

• Ok i have this problem to the 7 shows all folders made on other pc-s as exe files  on eny usb drive i plug in exsept the ones he made or were made on a 7 ops... i scaned my pc wit online scaner norton no viruses  no nothing nothing on the sticks to they are 100% clean but they show as exe files,,, eny idea could it be a some cind of new virus????
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Based on my experience, I suspect this USB drive may be infected. Please also check if the hard drives on your computer also encounter this issue.

You may ensure that a security software has been installed on your computer and perform a full system (including the USB drive) scan immediately.

For your reference, here is a list of security software that is compatible with Windows 7:

Windows 7 security software providers

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• In what way are they showing up as exe's?

Is the extension .exe being added to the folder name, when you have viewing of extensions enabled?

When you right click the file and select properties are they different?

Or, is the icon changing?
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:30 PM
  • no it is like they turned into exe files,,,, il fo check it mom.. im trying to scan the stick,,, no nothing i am uplouding a screenshot..
    . free image hosting by LargeImageHost.com

Here see for your self.... and when i double click it it opens as  a folder,,,, sheesh,,, on every damn stick!
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:22 PM
  • That's wierd.

You could see what they look like in a command prompt.  But I suspect it will show the same thing.

Unless they revert when you plug them into a non Windows 7 PC, it would seem that something has actually renamed them.

Try it after doing a "clean boot".  Click Start, and enter "msconfig" in the search box, or in Run.  Go to the Services tab and enable "Hide all Microsoft services".  Then click "Disable All".  Go the Startup tab and disable all non Microsoft startup programs.

If the behavior changes, you can determine which service or program is the culprit by enabling them one at a time.

If this doesn't change anything, I am at a loss.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Based on my experience, I suspect this USB drive may be infected. Please also check if the hard drives on your computer also encounter this issue.

You may ensure that a security software has been installed on your computer and perform a full system (including the USB drive) scan immediately.

For your reference, here is a list of security software that is compatible with Windows 7:

Windows 7 security software providers

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:15 AM
  • My problem occured when I quit the defrag of my USB drive before it was finished.  Bad idea.  The folders were renamed with an exe extention.  I thought for sure the problem was with the USB drive, but a restore to the day before fixed it.   Maybe the File Attribution Table or one of the other tables that hold file info got messed up on the boot drive.

Best answer I can give.  Restore to the day before on your system.  Don't bother trying to fix your USB drive - there's nothing wrong with it.  And, of course, don't be a fool like me - let your USB drive finish what it's doing before "safely" removing it.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 6:37 PM