none
Exchange 2010 CAS NLB RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear all,

i just setup a CAS Array NLB, which will be used for MAPI, Public Folder and Active Directory.

i have an ISA server in the DMZ which publish the OWA, Outlook Anywhere and ActiveSync. can i point it to the virtual IP of MY NLB? or i should point it to only one CAS production NIC.

the NLB is also doing inbound mail NLB, mail from the ISA server will be forwarded to the Virtual IP of the NLB (note CAS/HUB same server)

Should i point it to the Virtual IP or it is not support?

thanks

jay

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:19 PM

All replies

• i just setup a CAS Array NLB, which will be used for MAPI, Public Folder and Active Directory.

Public folders do not work with CAS Arrays.  Clients access the mailbox role directly for Public Folder Access.

Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
    Check out the new virtualization exams!

Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:08 PM
  • i have an ISA server in the DMZ which publish the OWA, Outlook Anywhere and ActiveSync. can i point it to the virtual IP of MY NLB? or i should point it to only one CAS production NIC.

Point ISA to the virtual IP of the NLB representing the array, https, smtp services.

Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator

Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:10 PM
  • yeh, you are correct client access Public folders direct to the MBX server.

thank you.

for the NLB (windows), you recommend me to use Static port with UNicast (2 nic) or use tcp 135 and Dynamic rpc 1024 -65535 with Unicast (2 nics) and Https, smtp..

Thanks

jay

Friday, May 7, 2010 12:48 PM
  • yeh, you are correct client access Public folders direct to the MBX server.

thank you.

for the NLB (windows), you recommend me to use Static port with UNicast (2 nic) or use tcp 135 and Dynamic rpc 1024 -65535 with Unicast (2 nics) and Https, smtp..

Thanks

jay

Jay-

I usually set the static ports for customers because it makes firewall rules much easier to plan and get approved. You might want to take a look at the ISA publishing guide for Exchange 2010 though. http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/12/17/453625.aspx 

Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
    Friday, May 7, 2010 10:23 PM
  • ditto. 

see this thread for static mapi ports in 2010.  it has changed and there is no official documentation yet.

(specifically my comments at the bottom)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/93929881-a066-479e-a546-655da87146fc/#a89ad23e-c3b8-49e4-81f3-eb26b0944769

Friday, May 7, 2010 11:21 PM