App-V standalone environment or integrate with ConfigMgr RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning everyone.

So I currently am an IT Consultant focusing on System Center 2012 products (ConfigMgr and Orch being my top two) and I am working with a new client.  Basically, they have Altiris in place for App deployment, and some rigged up OSD.  I am trying to convince them to go to ConfigMgr, but they are resistant because they have two years of licensing left with Altiris.  However, they are looking to have me implement the latest version of App-V, which has me questioning if I could convince them to use ConfigMgr to make their App-V experience better.

I can't find any white papers or case studies, so can anyone provide any documentation on the benefits of integrating with ConfigMgr (2012 SP1, or R2 in a few months) vs having a standalone App-V infrastructure?  I will say that they are looking to do streaming, so I figure if we are going to put streaming servers at each location, why not just turn those into ConfigMgr DPs.  ConfigMgr (to start) would be purely for App-V management.  I just need to find a way to get it into the environment.  

Can anyone provide anything that could help persuade?  Or is the standalone infrastructure good enough?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

• Integration of both XenApp/XenDesktop (whateve they're using) and App-V with ConfigMgr would be compelling - a single framework for desktop and application management, patch management, inventory and reporting regardless of the desktop type and application delivering mechanism.

Note that Citrix provides integration support with Configuration Manger with XenApp and XenDesktop: http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/xenapp65-publishing/xaccm2012-systemreqs.html

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I just googled App-V 5 whitepaper and this was the 3:rd hit;

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/1/C0199142-8A8F-42A3-9D3F-6E807CB248F9/Managing_AppV5_with_Configuration_Manager_2012SP1.pdf

Its pretty extensive on why you would choose ConfigMgr.

I do understand the customer who questions the choice of infrastructure if they have to pay for ConfigMgr and not for native App-V infrastructure. That seems like a sound approach from the customer perspective.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:23 PM
  • I would presume that with this customer you'd need to be reasonably pragmatic - it's going to be expensive to throw out Altiris and implement ConfigMgr. Who knows what's happening with Altiris at this point though, I thought Symantec was looking for a buyer.

Deploying the native App-V infrastructure side-by-side with Altiris will create two separate solutions for application deployment, which might be OK, but they'll be managed separately. Otherwise you could deploy App-V packages with the generated MSIs just like any other applications via Altiris. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:13 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Yes, I understand the licensing costs from the clients perspective.  However, I believe they are already licensed for the System Center stack via their EA.  

Thanks for the PDF, and shamefully I already had that downloaded to my PC but forgot about it.  Basically I am looking for information about what features ConfigMgr could provide that a standalone infrastructure couldn't.  I do see that ConfigMgr would enable the use of App-V over the internet when utilizing IBCM in ConfigMgr.  However the client is a heavy Citrix shop, so I think bringing the App-V Client into XenApp would probably happen.  

I know scalability is one factor, as well as things such as Software Metering and Software/Hardware Inventory, but anything else?  They aren't saying they are Altiris only, but only use it vs ConfigMgr because they own it for another two years.  If I could convince them that ConfigMgr brings more to the table for App-V, I could get it in place and then show them how well App-V and ConfigMgr together works, and using the Application delivery model, replace Altiris.  

Licensing/money aside, what would ConfigMgr bring to the table for App-V vs standalone? 

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Integration of both XenApp/XenDesktop (whateve they're using) and App-V with ConfigMgr would be compelling - a single framework for desktop and application management, patch management, inventory and reporting regardless of the desktop type and application delivering mechanism.

Note that Citrix provides integration support with Configuration Manger with XenApp and XenDesktop: http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/xenapp65-publishing/xaccm2012-systemreqs.html

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for the link and info about Citrix integration!  I didn't know that existed.

They currently have 4 XenApp farms (5, 5.6, 6, 6.5), and a XenDesktop 6 farm, so I think a single Application Delivery platform is something that could be tempting for them, along with inventory/reporting, patch management, and OSD.

Since Citrix is ending their app streaming product, they are looking to make the switch to App-V, so it can all be started IF I can convince them to roll ConfigMgr into this project as well.  If they so with a standalone infrastructure, then it will be less likely that I could get ConfigMgr in place.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:30 PM