none
DPM 2010 Primary Exchange DAG to DPM 2010 Secondary replication RRS feed

• Question

• I know that there are many posts about this "issue" but I couldn't find a clear answer regarding this issue. My question is: when I protect the DAG1 Member with the Primary DPM Server (Full Backup) and the DAG2 Member with the secondary DPM Server (Copy Backup) - what happens when a DB switches to the DAG 2? I mean what happens with the copy backup / DB Logfiles?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeremy is correct.

To DPM, it makes no difference that the role of the DAG changed, DPM is going to treat the backup on DAG2 the same, copy only.  If DAG1 is going to be down for long time, then you will need to modify the PG and change DAG2 from copy only to full so logs can then get truncated.    When DAG1 comes back, change DAG2 back to copy only.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if the DB switch to DAG2 but DAG1 is still available then the logs will be truncated by the primary DPM server over DAG1. But if the primary server fails then the logs won't be truncated and the next truncation will be done when the primary comes back online.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

Let me explain what I meen: DPM1 makes Full Back Up on DAG1 and the DPM2 makes copy Back Up of the DAG2. What happens when a DAG1 DB switches to DAG2? Whta happens on the DPM Site? On the DAG2 we only have copy backup and so no logs get truncated?!  

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Hi Jeremy is correct.

To DPM, it makes no difference that the role of the DAG changed, DPM is going to treat the backup on DAG2 the same, copy only.  If DAG1 is going to be down for long time, then you will need to modify the PG and change DAG2 from copy only to full so logs can then get truncated.    When DAG1 comes back, change DAG2 back to copy only.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:23 PM