none
Configure working times in project pro 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.   Our company has project server 2010 up and running.  I am a project scheduler, and I am needing to schedule 6 hours of work per day (8AM-3PM, for example).  I believe, based on the research I've done, there are a few ways to do this, including adjusting resource calendars/changing working times.  My issue is that when I go to "Change working times", then "work weeks", "Details" is disabled, due to the way the server admins have set-up permissions.   I think the admins can create me a customized calendar...just looking for any outside-the-box recommendations/ideas out there for how to do this, given the constraints i've mentioned?

Thanks,

Ryan

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Indeed you do need to ask your Project administrator to create a "6hrs-calendar", this is part of the tasks which required admin permissions. Then you'll be able to assign this calendar either to the project or to the tasks themselves.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by MSprojGeek Friday, February 20, 2015 3:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSprojGeek Friday, February 20, 2015 11:33 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Guillaume, Thank you for the answer.  I have a few follow-up questions as I've been trying to fully grasp this issue myself.

1) Don't you also need to adjust the calendar options to reflect 6 hours per day and 30 hours per week? 

2) Do you also need to change the default start and end time to reflect the 6 hour calendar (8am-3pm as in the example from the question)? 

3) What risks are there in not having the calendar working times matchup directly to the calendar options? 

4) What is the point of having calendar options separate from the calendar?  In my experience this creates more confusion than anything else.

5) Do you know the order of precedence for the various schedule options (e.g., Resource Calendar, Task Calendar, Project Calendar, Project Options)?  I don't use task calendars, but I'm trying to understand (and explain to others) how these different pieces fit together when trying to develop and manage work-based schedules.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in.  As you note, there are a couple of options available - one is to drop the calendar for the project (and base calendar for resources) to 6 hours per day - 30 hours per week.

If you choose to go with that answer, yes, it is best to set the definition of "day" to 6 hours and definition of "week" to 30.  I would also change the default start and end to match the calendar.  All are taken care of in File > Options, Schedule.

There are no real risks of not having the calendar match the working time - just strong possibilities for significant confusion.  For example:  you've change the working time in the calendar (Work weeks) to 08:00 to 3:00 pm - but still left your definition of "day" to 8 hours.  You add a single task to the project with the default 1 day duration.  The task will start on Monday but end on Tuesday because you have only allowed 6 working hours per day.

The order of preference for scheduling and calendars:  Project calendar initially.  Resource calendar when you assign resources.  Task calendars may over-ride resource calendars.

Another suggestion:  leave the working time and definitions to 8 hours per day.  If you want to indicate that your resources can only generate 6 hours of work on tasks in your project during any given 8 hour day, set the resource's maximum units to 75%.  If you assign a resource and enter 8 hours of work, Project will increase the task duration.

I hope this helps.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:58 PM