none
SharePoint 2013 publishing pages autosave in IE (doesn't happen in Firefox or Chrome) RRS feed

• Question

• When I edit a publishing page on a 2013 publishing portal site in IE 11 and instead of clicking save I navigate to another page, the page being edited gets automatically saved with the edits I made. There is no dialog popup asking if I want to navigate away and lose my changes which is what other sites tend to do.

If I do the exact same thing in Firefox or Chrome, the changes don't get saved and there is no dialog warning letting me know that I will lose my changes if I leave the page there either.

This seems a pretty illogical user interface design to me. Firstly there should be consistency of behaviour across the major browsers. Secondly the user should be given a warning and an option to save the changes or discard them rather than an auto-save. I could live with the auto-save if it was consistent across all browsers.

Is there a way to disable the auto-save?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Although SharePoint supports Firefox and Chrome, it is not fully compatible with the two products, there might be some features can only work well in the specific versions of IE.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526(v=office.15).aspx

Yes, it would not be seen as a consistent behavior between IE and the non-IE browsers, however, the “Auto Save” is a widely accepted features among all the Microsoft Office products and it did help users reduce the risk of losing data, so it is not recommended to disable this feature.

If you don’t want users get a lost between the two kinds of browsers, a suggestion is that we can display a warning message in the Publishing site which notices users to use IE browser to enjoy a better editing experience with the “Auto Save” feature.

Best regards

Patrick Liang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Vertigrator Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:08 AM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:09 AM

All replies

• It also appears that when a page is in edit mode the window.onbeforeunload event is taken over by some SharePoint JavaScript code somewhere. If I have a simple window.onbeforeunload = alert("message") it fires on a page in read mode, but never fires on a page in edit mode when navigating away.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:53 AM
  • Hi,

Although SharePoint supports Firefox and Chrome, it is not fully compatible with the two products, there might be some features can only work well in the specific versions of IE.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526(v=office.15).aspx

Yes, it would not be seen as a consistent behavior between IE and the non-IE browsers, however, the “Auto Save” is a widely accepted features among all the Microsoft Office products and it did help users reduce the risk of losing data, so it is not recommended to disable this feature.

If you don’t want users get a lost between the two kinds of browsers, a suggestion is that we can display a warning message in the Publishing site which notices users to use IE browser to enjoy a better editing experience with the “Auto Save” feature.

Best regards

Patrick Liang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Vertigrator Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:08 AM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:09 AM
  • Fair enough.

Ideally SharePoint should take advantage of window.onbeforeunload to pop up a warning to the user if they are on another browser and warn them that they will lose changes if they navigate away from the page. I have tried using window.onbeforeunload but it is getting overridden by some SharePoint script that has already taken control of the window.onbeforeunload event. So it looks like I can't easily add my own window.onbeforeunload event code.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:11 AM