Stop Vista changing folder view due to folder content RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone,

I am sure some people consider the function of Vista changing views of folders to match the content a great feature, but if I tell Vista I want details folder view and I apply this view to "ALL FOLDERS", I don't want Vista changing a folder view.

How can I stop Vista changing views on me?

Here is an example of what I am talking about.   I have a folder with three text files in it, I then drop ten picture files in the folder, the next time I open the folder the view has changed from details to picture view.

This may be a simple option to change, but I can't find it.   I don't want to change the view to classic view.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Grant.

Friday, April 13, 2007 8:02 AM

Answers

• Are you saying that a folder that had a template of All Items and has been viewed in Explorer (so that it's view is saved) is switching templates when new content is added?

I didn't think content sniffing kicked in on a folder that already has a saved view, but maybe it does.

Be aware that the 'Apply to Folders' option only affects folders of the
    same type or template, e.g. 'All Items', 'Documents', 'Pics & Video', etc.
    So if you want to set list view as the default for all the major folder
    types, you need to use 'Apply to Folders' five times, once from each type of
    folder.

That being said, you can force the 'All Items' template on to
    all folders with the following:

Copy the text between the lines below into notepad & save as a .reg file.
    Watch out for line wrap -- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Shell] is all one line,
    there is a space between 'Local' and 'Settings'.

--------------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"

Merging the .reg file will set the 'All Items' template for any folders that
    don't currently have a view saved with a different template.  You can clear
    all saved views by deleting the

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags"

key BEFORE merging the .reg file.  If any folders open with a different
    template after clearing the 'Bags' key & merging the .reg file, they most
    likely have a template specified via their desktop.ini file.

Good Luck,

Keith

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:47 PM

All replies

• Are you saying that a folder that had a template of All Items and has been viewed in Explorer (so that it's view is saved) is switching templates when new content is added?

I didn't think content sniffing kicked in on a folder that already has a saved view, but maybe it does.

Be aware that the 'Apply to Folders' option only affects folders of the
    same type or template, e.g. 'All Items', 'Documents', 'Pics & Video', etc.
    So if you want to set list view as the default for all the major folder
    types, you need to use 'Apply to Folders' five times, once from each type of
    folder.

That being said, you can force the 'All Items' template on to
    all folders with the following:

Copy the text between the lines below into notepad & save as a .reg file.
    Watch out for line wrap -- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Shell] is all one line,
    there is a space between 'Local' and 'Settings'.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"

Merging the .reg file will set the 'All Items' template for any folders that
    don't currently have a view saved with a different template.  You can clear
    all saved views by deleting the

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags"

key BEFORE merging the .reg file.  If any folders open with a different
    template after clearing the 'Bags' key & merging the .reg file, they most
    likely have a template specified via their desktop.ini file.

Good Luck,

Keith

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:47 PM
  •  

Hey Keith,

You little ripper, it seems to have worked.   I just carried out a test by dropping a couple of picture files into a folder that only had pdf files in it.   Previously it would have changed the view to thumbnails, but not this time.

Thanks very much.   The sad thing is, Windows Vista default settings and design seems to be taking some control away from the user.   Another example is the lack of file type management, i.e. if you want to change the default ppt file behaviour from open to show it's not so easy now.

Oh well, we don't make the sand box, we just play in it.

Thanks again.

Grant.

Monday, April 16, 2007 10:19 PM
  • You're welcome.

I'm in total agreement about the loss of the File Types dialog....

Forcing people to edit the registry directly or use a 3rd-party program for a fundamental, if slightly advanced, task is nuts!!!

Keith

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:40 AM
  • You rock dude. Worked like a charm. It was irritating the hell out of me, and I was seriously thinking of going back to XP. Guess what, I was lucky and came across your post.

Thanks a ton.

2 things.
    1. How can I fix the view, to sort it so that it sorts items by Type, rather than Size (Which is the current view)

2. Is there any option to get Folder Size in Vista, as an explorer extension, like it was in XP?
    Infact, My Vista has stopped giving me the popup balloon as well, the one which told me the folder size, if I point my mouse on it.
    How do I get that back atleast?

Cheers Mate.Thanks again
    Monday, July 9, 2007 6:50 AM
  • I have a similar problem, though it has to do with Vista changing the folder views after I have gone through my folders and customized them. For example, in my music folders, I keep changing the album folders to show up as thumbnails (music icon template), while the music files are a detailed list (music details template). However, when I go back, Vista has switched everything around, as well as changed all my picture folders from the picture template to the music details template.

How do I make Vista keep my settings the way I want them?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:45 PM
  • "Be aware that the 'Apply to Folders' option only affects folders of the same type or template"

Anyone here from MSFT should take note to correct this.  Back with better Windows operating systems, you could apply to ALL folders, and it would, and you would be done, and life was good.  Somewhere in XP, MSFT thought that they knew how to manage folders better than the users.

I am constantly changing views. CONSTANTLY.  It is frustrating, as you can tell.  I want all folders DETAILS, date or name sorted, always, by default.  Period.

Thx,

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:12 AM
  • I agree.

A good solution could be 2 buttons, one to apply to ALL FOLDERS!!!!11!, and another to apply to All folders of the same template as it does now... ya that'd be something people would appreciate...but im gonna just edit the registry cause i got no patience to wait months for such a patch Stick out tongue

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Hi, how do u reverse this? It does work but am now un-able to edit any folders names or new folders!

Monday, January 7, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Does anyone have a step by step way of setting and KEEPING column headings for ALL folder that actually works.
    I have tried following some procedures that I found on on line - but NONE of them actually work ONCE and for all.

I HAVE WINDOWS XP ON ONE COMPUTER
    AND WINDOWS VISTA ON THE OTHER ONE.

How can Microsoft release a new product (Vista) inferior to XP as far as viewing folders?
    Doing anything should be BETTER and not worse in newer versions of all software.

In XP "apply current view to all folders" works flawlessly with no strain on the brain.

But in Vista, after reading one "explanation" after another this simple option does NOT work.

I set up all my column headings and am NEVER able to retain my desired settings. DAMN!

Eg. Track, Name, Title, Folder, Author, Size, Bit Rate, Date Created, Date Modified etc.
    The above are typical column headings that I like to KEEP for ALL of my MP3 folders.

WHOEVER DESIGNED THE WAY VISTA HANDLES FOLDER SHOULD BE FIRED.

Gerhardt J. Steinke   GJS@GJS.NET
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Thank you Keith!  So glad to have helped fix this rediculous issue.  Now onto the next issue I hate about Vista... hmm.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 7:26 AM
  • I have done these suggestions maybe 75-100 times and they last a minute, or maybe they will last a day or two, but they always end up changing to something else without my instructing it to do so.

VisDUH totally sucks.

I have wasted 100s of hours trying to work with an OS that crashes while attempting to run the world, rather than letting me run the programs I need to run and do the work I need to do!

And here it is, all these months later and MS, et al, still don't have the idiot thing fixed. The hotfixes do not fix, the sp1 beta does not fix these or other issues either.

Anybody got an idea that actually works?????

Please?

We are about to die here........

Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:11 PM
  • My observation is that it appears that Vista has more than one "navigation thread" for all the folder views. What I mean by that is that, if you set a folder view under one scenario(e.g. navigating to My Documents via the start menu) and then say navigate to the same folder but via a different method(e.g. "open file" command from within an application and then go to the My Documents folder) you may end up with a different view setting for each scenario. This can only be taking place if the system is having to search through more than one entry for that folder's view. ENTER MAJOR CONFUSION FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

The solution(are you listening Microsoft?) would be to simply implement the following:
    1) when you set a folder's view via the standard explorer navigation(e.g. start>documents or computer>username>documents) this should be set as the current stored view permanently(or until willingly changed by the user) and should only be stored once per user so there is only one entry for explorer to look at;
    2) when you then navigate to a folder via an application's menu system and need to change a view, this should only be seen as temporary and therefore not saved(or at least discarded upon closing the application)

My experience is that if I have set a view via normal explorer navigation I generally want to use that same view from within my applications as well. Occasionally this might not be that case but it would be nice if it reset to MY default as opposed to what the system now thinks I might want.

Until something like this is done I am afraid I don't think the problem will go away. I have so far tried multiple methods and none of them stick for very long.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 12:51 PM
  • MAJOR CONFUSION INDEED! I still seek a STEP by STEP solution.

Microsoft is loaded with money and technical talent for a remedy.

Alternatively, let's stop more lengthy surealistic arcane blogs
    that are damned near useless and put pressure on Microsoft.

Anyone know of a way of reaching a human at Microsoft?

Highly focused very specific inquiries deserve answers.

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Just as we use the forum format to seek solutions I am sure the pros use these for ideas if they happen to stumble upon them. I have used many forum threads that don't initially contain solutions but have triggered a thought in my head and led me to a fix. My comment was a hint towards what the problem might be and what I was trying to get at is that, unfortunately I don't think there is an easy step by step solution.

What I have tried is:
    1. go through the various ways you may want to navigate to a folder( i.e. from within an application, from the start menu, from my computer, etc) - this includes both open and save commands if working from within an app.
    2. change the layout to your desired view.
    3. then apply your settings to "all folders" from within each scenario.
    As you can imagine, this is a very long and tedious process. I have only done it for a few programs but it seems to have remembered the few that I set.

It shouldn't be this difficult but it seems that until the storing process is modified this may be the only way.
    Friday, February 22, 2008 6:35 AM
  • The "solution" - ( frequently the case ) lacks highly-focused clear step-by-step specificity.

The "folders of same type" phrase is far from clear.  This lacks operational meaning to me.

In XP (from my finite experience) a folder was a folder. MOST of my content was MP3 files.
    But typically, I use sub-folders with any name I choose and any associated content I want.
    No matter what content in a folder. columar headings applied to all folder with no problem

Telling "type" of file was handled by "type" as a columar heading. DUH. Easy in my XP.

My major "type" for files is English and German spoken word 128 KBS MP3 content.
    Having *.wpd" , *doc" , "htm" , "wav" . . files in an above folders was NOT an issue.

I confess - I've never edited my registry - but am open to learning suggested task.

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:48 PM
  • It would be nice if I could set my right-pane details view to be just the way I want it -- and then give it a name, like "MyView1" - a sort of template name if you will.  Then I should be able to

• apply that template view to any folder (and optionally its sub-folders) that i happen to be in, and have it stay that way -- forever! 
    • apply that template view to a selection of folders via some batch dialog box mode that allows me to list the types of folders that I want it to be associated with

Or something that basically keeps things the way I want them, and not have the OS constantly change it the way I, typically, do NOT want to view the folder.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I see that some VisDuh users are saying that this is the solution/fix, but it worked only briefly for me, and then it was back to the same old problem again.

HEY MS, PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!\

SP 1 DIDN'T FIX IT,

NEITHER DOES ANYTHING ELSE, SO FAR.

DOES ANYONE FROM MS EVER, I MEAN,

E  V  E  R,

EVEN READ THESE POSTS ABOUT PROBLEMS? I GUESS NOT!

David

Sunday, June 8, 2008 3:11 AM
  • This may be a solution for some machines, but not mine.

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. NOT AN ANSWER.

MSux still needs to fix this for us. Surely the MS employees who actually use the VisDuh OS know that explorer still screws up folder view constantly.

Please, someone, really fix this for ALL of us.

What a waste of time and effort simple use of VisDuh is.

Please someone fix the folder view problem.

Thanx for listening, someone.

BigD
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 7:16 PM
  • For those of you who are still complaining about this problem, and who apparently either lack the basic fundamental skills required or are just plain too lazy to perform a google search, alas i have done the footwork for you!

This problem has been irritating me since the days of Vista Beta, but it wasnt until today i finally decided to take an adventure into solving this problem, and, in less than 5 minutes time, with one single, carefully crafted google search, i came up with not only this forum post, where people have been complaining for over a year about this problem, but also a true resolution to this issue, so for those still whining about this, you can find the answer and your path to salvation HERE. The author of this fix offers 3 different routes you can take to acheive devine bliss, i recommend the last one, its a small application with check boxes, so even the most technically retarded Technet whiner should, and i stress should be able to resolve this problem.

Have a Nice Day!

just in case the link doesnt work.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/dealing-with-windows-vista-explorer-screwing-up-auto-detection-of-folder-types/
    Friday, July 4, 2008 7:55 PM
  • WallyB:

Your tone totally sucks. You obviously know little of the gravity of this Vista bug and the headaches it is causing thousands of us. Many of us have discovered all these little fixes and others, too, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What doesn't help at all is your ignorant, sarcastic tone. If you had spent more than five minutes in your search you probably would not have sounded like such a know-it-all who doesn't know squat.

You apparently don't know a thing about the time and effort by MS, and dozens of others in trying to truly fix this problem.

While the ideas in the howtogeek page do work sometimes on some PCs, as several people have acknowledged, they do not work for everyone, a truth which is implied in the very article you pompously point people to. Perhaps if you had spent more time really studying this problem you would not have spouted off like a
    five-year-old braggart.

I suggest you take a breath, and re-write your little post with a little more knowledge and a lot more wisdom.

You can re-edit that post, and I will gladly re-write mine.
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:15 AM
  •  DBarr wrote:
    WallyB:

Your tone totally sucks. You obviously know little of the gravity of this Vista bug and the headaches it is causing thousands of us. Many of us have discovered all these little fixes and others, too, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What doesn't help at all is your ignorant, sarcastic tone. SNIP-AROONIE

Hey DBarr, like your tone doesn't suck? Are you using a large enough font? 14pt seems a bit "Look at me!" I suggest you take a breath yourself. I understand the frustration of this issue but to call someone out when your own demeanor is problematic shows some issues with maturity. Yes, I agree on this issue with you and I've been ever frustrated by it. If I set a particular folder view for a folder it should stay stuck. Isn't that what the hidden desktop.ini files were for at one time? Microsoft (notice the lack of idiotic spelling of it and Vista) does need to pay this some attention. Honestly I'm wondering who's actually paying attention to the user base there anymore. I haven't been to the campus in at least 3 years for any conferences. I'm not sure who they were listening to during Vista betas but for the first time since Win95 I was not involved on the beta testing.

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:47 AM
  • Thread status = answered??

I have a simple question: Is Microsoft fixing, or going to fix this problem?

Is there a way to find out what Microsoft thinks of this issue, and if they are working on it or not?

At some stage, will I get an "Update" which will make File Explorer work *correctly*?

Can I contact a human being from Microsoft to make enquiries? (am I crazy?)

I've been searching for months, and have found all kinds of weird and wonderful hacks, 3rd party programs, more hacks, people complaining, etc.. Every one of them has people claiming solutions, and people claiming it did not work. I'm sick of it. I give up.

It would take forever to argue whats wrong with what File Explorer does, so I will say what I want... (its pretty basic)

I simply want ALL my files to be viewed in "Details View" with these columns: (( Size, Name, Type, Date )).

I ALWAYS want files to be sorted from Filename A-Z. (unless I choose otherwise, temporarily)

I ALWAYS want the column widths to either A) Stay the width I set them applying to ALL folders equally, or B) At least be wide enough to be usable.

I ALWAYS want to keep "Size" and "Type" and I would prefer the order of these columns to remain the same too.

I NEVER want to view any files as Icons, or Thumbnails, etc.. Unless I specifically click the button to do so, and I DO NOT want that temporary view change to stick. EVER.

Basically, I want every folder to look the same when I open them - I am familiar with the layout, and what is shown, and where file info is, and this makes it so much easier to work with. Even if I open a folder with photos, I don't mind manually changing the view to Thumbnails, because even with photo files I often want to see the filename and size etc.. easily.

Windows XP worked fine in this way, why has Vista been made so it specifically doesn't allow you to choose your own preference (which stays the way you set it).

This is slowly driving me insane. In fact, I think I'm developing a phobia of opening folders - I never know what to expect. (except that it will be the most unhelpful type of view possible)

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:33 AM
  • No. No. No, No. Maybe, but I would not hold out hope.  No, but you can talk to their call center.  No you are not crazy, since there are three class action lawsuits (that I know of) against them for misleading promises that the OS would work.  I would like to start another just for the promise that the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) was gone.  That and to ridicule the VP who publicly stated that the Vista firewall and defender was all that was needed to protect your system from internet attacks, virus/malware, and spybots.

I know a few of the Beta testers who went through *** with this thing, filing reams of error logs, and constantly pointing this out as the most annoying error that did not crash the system.  They were all ignored, completely for most of their issues and have either officially quit as beta testers, or are going to refuse if asked again.

MS has basically set it sights on a new OS and is only going to fix either the fairly easy things, or those that can kill it entirely (security flaws).  Since they have had three years to get this fixed, and have failed to do so, they do not consider it a priority.  Either that, or they screwed it up so badly that it cannot be fixed.  The best hope is a third party program that override Vista's handling of files, since the new OS will not be out until 2010 (or more likely 2012).

Instead of fixing the things that have always worked in Windows (until Vista), here is what they are doing:
    "Well-publicized are the hundreds of millions that Microsoft plans to spend on a broad campaign buttressed by edgy ads from Crispin Porter and Bogusky."  (July 24, 2008, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998336-56.html)

That's right, a PR campaign to convince us that it is really not half as annoying as it really is.  I wonder if it will work.  Wink

Wish List
    Fix Folder Memory.
    Fix not being able to access files on my desktop due to insufficient access (especially ones I created from scratch).
    Fix not being able to delete a folder until I manually delete the files inside it.
    Fix not being able to move a file because "It is open in another program", except that it is not (downloads that finished 60 minutes ago with no active applications - it is not a background task).
    Fix the mystery of the disappearing DVD drivers, when the OS can fully detect the drive, yet will not update the drivers since it cannot detect the drive (yep, a paradox that).
    Fix everything else that was supposed to be in SP1 but was cut out less than a month before and supposed to be patched individually soon after.
    And lastly, if you are going to change from Transparency to Translucency then maybe you should dislcose the data on the actual number of coders working on fixing these problems instead of working on other projects (Win7).  Otherwise you may actually reach the point where the common consumer joins the business world in the mother of all class action suits.  Not for profit, just to force you to live up to basic OS operation standards that you set in the first place. 
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Dear friends,
    I have been reading the posts on this subject, because I have the same problem. Some arrogant b*****d at MS thinks that I am too stupid to come up with a usable folder view, and so he does it for me. (That about sums it up, doesn't it?)

In my 30+ year career in IT I worked with over 15 operating systems. Please believe me: Windows is the WORST, by far! Even MS-DOS did what it had to do, simple and without any useless bling-bling.
    The problem is simple: there are millions of people who know no other OS than Windows. They will never buy a leaking milk bottle from their supermarket or a car without wheels, but they gladly accept unfinished software products like Windows! There are tons of Service Packs, updates and patches to prove it.

In the posts above some people preach the need of making registry changes or using 3rd party tools. Bullsh**! No user should have to take action (or even spend extra money) in order to tie up loose ends left by the manufacturer!!

My new PC came with Vista. I deeply regret that! XP was a nightmare, but Vista is a disaster. Bling-bling has taken over and
    functionality is no longer the main issue. MS have created a maze, and they themselves don't have a clue how to get out of it. The Windows Registry, the ever occurring conflicts, loads of small running programs, no control over your PC memory.
    And how about the internet? Windows opens thousands of doors (ports), where other computer systems only need two: one in and one out! No wonder your PC is practically indefensible! So you have to spend your money on antivirus products, who will never be able to provide 100% protection against lunatic attacks. Thanks very much, MS!

MS are more than happy to prove my point: they don't even know they have a forum like this one, or did I miss their response?

Do we want a solution? Maybe somebody can write a fertilizer program
    for apples, to grow their market share. Maybe then MS will see the need to put a stop to their arrogance and start making real products to change the world!

By the way, my folder view problem still isn't solved. Is yours?

P.S.: Shortly after I posted the above reaction, my IP-address was blocked by Hotmail, "because we have received complaints". I can't send e-mails to Hotmail-addresses any more. Coincidence?
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Has anyone done this....go to the folder you wish .... hit Alt...hidden tool bar appears...tools....folder options...apply to all folders....seems to work in my case...i

• Proposed as answer by flowocity83 Monday, July 5, 2010 12:07 AM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:48 AM
  • I think I might have found the mother of all posts that details why the problem occurs and how to fix it:

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=23106

In essence, stevcn70 at the vista forums traced this to an error to do with where explorer on vista is expecting to find 'BagMRU Size' in the registry. It appears that microsoft left it where only XP would find it (and hence where Vista will ignore it).

the posting at the above link contains the necessary text to create a reg file that removes the old (obsolete) registry entries and creates the necessary entries at the correct location for Vista's explorer to be able to find.

I haven't tried the solution, so if anyone manages to test it please confirm that it works. (I would recommend creating a restore point before attempting this registry change, just in case you want to restore the settings). Other users in the linked thread at 'the vista forums' site appear to be happy with the results, so it looks promising to say the least.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Ok,
    After 4 days of constant use, I can confirm that the fix at thevistaforums.com works beautifully. :)

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=23106

Changing the BagMRU Size value has little to do with the problem. It really does seem to be about the location of that registry entry being  in the wrong place by default. The majory of the fixes given on the web don't address this and just recommend upping that value, when upping it seems to be futile if the value is going to be ignored. The value already seems to be high enough as it is, anyhow. I kept the value as it was, myself.

Hope this ends the frustrations that so many users have been experiencing trying to find a solution that actually works.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Has anyone done this....go to the folder you wish .... hit Alt...hidden tool bar appears...tools....folder options...apply to all folders....seems to work in my case...i

paulywog54, you ROCK i have been looking online for about 6 hours today to find this it was getting on my nerves and i hardly ever open my picture folder.  i googled everything i could think of and used yahoo answers to find the answer and didnt tell now again you ROCK!!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by flowocity83 Monday, July 5, 2010 12:13 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 12:13 AM
  • I repeat RETARDS are working for Microsoft these days.

Good old WindowsXP developed by Israeli design team (related to Intel core7 team) in some desert was monumentally good for its time, perhaps ahead of its time.  "XP" in WindowsXP stands for "eXPerience".  WinXP's been aging & fading away as 21centiry rolled past 2008; but problem is since XP - WindowsVista was a fiasco & Windows7 while much better/corrected than Vista fiasco, still retains a number of problems similar to Folder Views annoyance, discussed in this thread.

I have to repeat if MS RETARDS are reading - STOP MESSING UP FOLDER VIEWS, YOUR PROPOSED "SOLTUIONS" DO NOT WORK !!  FOR POWER USERS - whose Filesystem contains thousands of Folders/deeply nested subfolders, they lose previously set global view, just b/c some go**amn Picture or Music file found its way into it, they change appearance to "pcitures" and crap.

Whose idea was it to enforce CHILDISH Views such as "Large Icons", "Thumbnails" and crap onto us, intelligent, powerusers??  AFAIC, oversized icons or whatever view which is NOT List view with just Name + Type columns and arranged by Type or Name as we could choose in WindowsXP (peace be upon her), is designed for Mentally Retarded people.  When you can't read, you need Icons, and when can't analyze even Icons you need Pictures or Thumbnails.  I am an Engineer, but was NOT all my life an engineer and am not too old, but I am telling you when I got my first computer in 1992, I set FileManager (what WinExplorer used tobe called) to List View, I suspect it was the Default view anyway.

Anyone who manages THOUSANDS of files in Iconic/Pictorial view is a RETARD.

And apparently Microsft has lost talented Programmers, OR support folks, who read the Problem, and post an "asnwer" and then mark the go***mn incorrect answer as "answer" w/o trying thei rown answer on fairly ciomplex Foldertree with deeply nested subfolders.

Why the struggle?

Why didn't I have to fight WindowsXP, I am askign a simple question?

I used to set WinExplorer to List View ONCE in WinXP, now I have to occasionally fiddle with Views even in Win7, don't mention Vista - it was a pile of brown you know what.

====

Posted via Mobile device ==> tiny keyboard, sorry for typos, no time to run Spellcheck.  If Microsfot fixes problem, I will fix spelling, OK?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Dear PaulyWog54 & Flowocity,

Hi Newbies :)  Did you actually try to go to any folder containing different items Tyoe, OR create onem or DROP any picture/music file into some folder previously containing forx eample only PDF files?

Enjoy!  You will see folder view change next tiem you restart WinExplorer.

When you say "seems to work in my case...", unfortunately it doesn't  Your case = is not powerusers case.  Go check a complex fodlertree w/deeply nested subfolders of a variety of filetypes, and see this does NOT work.

Only Registry hack seems to work partially (see elsewhere here & discussions linked to this one)

Instead we are still forced to multilate Registry for something that used to be TWO (2) clicks in WindowsXP.

• Edited by Mark Gates Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:37 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:33 PM