Multiple login prompts using RDS Farm connection broker. Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• 3 Server 2008 R2 machines

1 Domain Controller acting as Connection Broker

2 Terminal Servers acting as Session Hosts

When connecting to either terminal server I am able to login, but if load balancing kicks in and moves me to the other server, I have to log in once again.  Always prompt for password is unchecked on both servers.  I've seemingly exhausted all options I can find.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:18 PM

Answers

• hi Thomas, there's currently a known bug with Win XP RDC 6.1 and 7 clients connecting to Windows Server 2008 R2.  SSO via rdp file or rdp file via msi distribution does not work; you will always be prompted multiple times for credentials.  The only way to achieve SSO is to use RD Web.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

What RDP version are you using on your clients?

Regards,

Marek.Z

http://defaultreasoning.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:01 PM
  • hi Thomas, what OS are your clients?
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Win XP using version 6.1 and 7 of RDP

We're hoping to move to linux based thin clients using rdesktop, but those hang in between the first and second login prompt.  

I'm hoping this is a server-side issue as its uniform across multiple platforms.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Thomas,

Please take a look at this article. It was written for Windows 2003 but should also work for Windows 2008 (R2).

- hth

Marek.Z

http://defaultreasoning.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:14 PM
  • hi Thomas, there's currently a known bug with Win XP RDC 6.1 and 7 clients connecting to Windows Server 2008 R2.  SSO via rdp file or rdp file via msi distribution does not work; you will always be prompted multiple times for credentials.  The only way to achieve SSO is to use RD Web.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Seems I'll be relying on DNS round robin for load balancing, which isn't what I was planning/hoping for.  Thanks for the assistance.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hi James,

Do you have a reference link to a KB article on this?

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:50 PM