none
How to resolve the flexibility issues in TimeSheet of Project Server 2010 . RRS feed

• Question

• I don't understand this flexibility of project server 2010.

If PM assigned 1 day task to user = 8 hours in timesheet.

and user enter 4 hours Actual Work of TimeSheet and when click on save button. the planned work also changed into 4 hours. but if you click on Task name and check the detail there is remaining work is 4 hours.and task is 50 % complete.

Because we want to use the timesheet for operations in our company.

Like for Network and support department and for Datacenter and helpdesk dept.

and want to assign the tasks for them atleast 10 years . in which they open the timesheet on daily basis . and enter their actual work on their tasks against their 8 hours planned tasks.

Because users dont want to involve in any hanky panky . they need to open the timesheets and enter their hours in front of their tasks in Actual Work . and close the timesheet.

How it can be possible with this behaviour of project server 2010 timesheet which I described above.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:34 AM

Answers

• When users open timesheet, there is a check box on the ribbon for planned work. Untick it and the planned hours will go away. But I believe you may already be knowing this option. If you are saying disabling it by default for all users then you may have to go for code/development option. I don't think it is possible at configuration level.

Please mark as answer or Vote as Helpful if you think my replies against your post helped you to get your issues resolved.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

• Edited by Abhijeet Mohite Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by John.Eddie Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:42 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:35 AM

All replies

• This is what I will suggest you. See if it suits your requirement.

1. Create your tasks on which you want your support resources to log time and assign resources to it

2. Double click those tasks in Project Professional to open the Task Information dialog box

3.  Go to Advanced tab and set Task Type as Fixed Duration and set start date and end date to whatever you want (1 year/ 2 year / 3 years)

4. Now your support resources will find these tasks in their time sheets for the period of tasks you have set

5. Let them enter time (Actual Work) on those tasks week by week

6. Extract time sheet reports by using the Actual Work Billable field which will tell you time entered by resources for your time filter

Hope this is what you are looking at.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:44 AM
  • What I will be keep task mode "Manually Scheduled" or "Auto Scheduled" ?

and If I will make the project according to your details then the Planned work will be remain the same which we planned in Ms project professional 2010 or it will change when i will enter actual work. ?

If I have 10 tasks of 10 years of the same start and end date and I will assign one user to all of these 10 tasks. then the resource will be overallocated . it will also be problem.
    • Edited by John.Eddie Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:57 AM
  • I wouldn't recommend going such a long duration. This alone could cause some issues, not to mention create a lot of data that isn't used for some time.

I've seen people using the recurring task feature at a week level to track support. The rationale is that once the week has passed, the time has expired and you don't push it forward. This is easier to manage at a week level than at a 10 year long task level.

The behavior you are seeing for planned work is by design within the tool. If you want to maintain a value for comparison, you should baseline the project.

Treb Gatte @tgatte

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Keep it manually scheduled while you are setting up tasks, duration, adding resources etc. Once it is done you may change them to Auto Scheduled mode as I know there are some issues while resources enter time on non working days specially for the tasks which span over more than one year. Once you change the tasks to auto scheduled, dates will change a little to exclude the non working days but it wont matter much as the span still will be sufficient for you.

On your query of preserving planned work, you may use baseline work after you baseline the project for the first time. But I would say why you are worried about planned work as it is not going to give you anything in case of support resource scenarios. Still if you want you may use the option of base lining.

I am suggesting to keep the tasks as fixed duration as the resources should see them by default when they open their time sheets. As the tasks are fixed duration, you may choose not to enter the planned work. Just enter 1 hour or something in planned work so it does not affect the resource capacity.

I also agree with Treb's suggestion above but just sharing the approach which I have followed and it works well. There may be certain issues when you have long duration tasks but here you don't need to do task management so I don't thing they will affect you much. Your purpose is support time tracking and this should solve your purpose.

Let me know if this helps. 

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Is it possible that we can hide the planned work from or planned lines of tasks from timesheet ?

I know there is an option in project server 2010 at Ribbon . but I want to hide at Administrator level .

When administrator will hide this . it must be hide from all Team members timesheet.

and what will I do when one resource will assign of 10 tasks of one month. this will will be notify overallocated ? this will not create any problem.

• Edited by John.Eddie Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:07 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:21 AM
  • When users open timesheet, there is a check box on the ribbon for planned work. Untick it and the planned hours will go away. But I believe you may already be knowing this option. If you are saying disabling it by default for all users then you may have to go for code/development option. I don't think it is possible at configuration level.

Please mark as answer or Vote as Helpful if you think my replies against your post helped you to get your issues resolved.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

• Edited by Abhijeet Mohite Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by John.Eddie Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:42 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:35 AM