none
MDT 2013 U1 Client Upgrade Task Sequence not showing up RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded from MDT 2012 to MDT 2013 U1. All went good. Created an in place client upgrade task sequence to upgrade windows 7/8 to Windows 10. Using WDS and PXE boot. Replaced boot images on WDS after upgrading the deployment share and regenerating the boot images. Can see all of the old task sequences but the new windows upgrade task does not show as a choice. Not sure what I am missing. Thanks.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 1:40 AM

Answers

• To perform an upgrade, you need to run the task sequence from within the old OS (not via PXE).  From the Windows 7/8 machines, run \\server\share\scripts\litetouch.vbs and then the task sequence will show up.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by DeployInTx Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:44 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:41 AM

All replies

• To perform an upgrade, you need to run the task sequence from within the old OS (not via PXE).  From the Windows 7/8 machines, run \\server\share\scripts\litetouch.vbs and then the task sequence will show up.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by DeployInTx Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:44 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:41 AM
  • Michael,

I'm testing this type of upgrade deployment and was wondering if you suggest a specific custom settings.ini?

The current 8.1 machine that I'm testing with is connected to my domain and I want it to remain that way and keep existing host name.  Do I need to specify that in my customsettings.ini like I do for a basic OS deployment to a new PC?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Brent

Thursday, August 11, 2016 5:00 PM