vgapnp.sys does not support standby, sleep, hybernate... after changing monitor resolution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i hope this is the right forum to post this in...

I have Vista Basic on an HP Pavillion 2006 laptop.  I changed my monitor resolution to 1024x768 through control panel / display settings to support an older game i bought... now there's no option to change it back, and whereas there used to be options for 2 monitors, advanced settings, ect, now the options are gone.  My computer's running more or less smoothly, but it no longer has the option to go into standy, sleep, or hybernation.  When i looked it up in the command prompt, it gave me a liturgy of sleep options that "vgapnp.sys" or "vga save" does not support.  I can't find new drivers or updates for it anywhere.  I tried a system restore, but every time it saved a new state, it deleted all the old ones right away, and the only option available was from after i messed up the resolution.  I neeeeed to find a way to get standby and sleep to work again, because i hate to run my computer 24/7, and shutting it down every time i walk away from it is hardly an option.  Please help!

Thanks,
    Krystal
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:24 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Krystal,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please completely remove the graphics device driver and reinstall it to see if it works.

2.    Please check your BIOS settings and ensure that the standy, sleep, or hibernation are supported.

Standby Explained (S1, S3)

http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.aspx

You can also reset the BIOS settings to default to see if it works.

3.    I suspect there are some files corrupted, please run SFC to have a check.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information about the command SFC, please refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

If the issue persists, please help me capture a screenshot on the “sleep options that ‘vgapnp.sys’ or ‘vga save’ does not support”:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the files and share the URLs with me.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:53 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Krystal,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please completely remove the graphics device driver and reinstall it to see if it works.

2.    Please check your BIOS settings and ensure that the standy, sleep, or hibernation are supported.

Standby Explained (S1, S3)

http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.aspx

You can also reset the BIOS settings to default to see if it works.

3.    I suspect there are some files corrupted, please run SFC to have a check.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information about the command SFC, please refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

If the issue persists, please help me capture a screenshot on the “sleep options that ‘vgapnp.sys’ or ‘vga save’ does not support”:

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the files and share the URLs with me.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:53 AM
  • I have a simila problem on my PC.

It used to hibernate without any issue when it was installed with Vista x86. 
    But since I have installed Server 2008 (yesterday), and even after a complete windows update, I can't hibernate anymore.

Here after is the output message of powercfg -a and of sfc /scannow
    the Bios is configured to support S3 and I did a powercfg -h ON.

C:\Users\Administrator>powercfg -a
    The following sleep states are not available on this system: 
    Standby (S1)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
            There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent this standby state:
                    VgaSave
            The VGAPNP.SYS display driver does not support standby.  Please consult your hardware vendor for an updated display driver.
            An internal system component has disabled this standby state.
    Standby (S2)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
            There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent this standby state:
                    VgaSave
            The VGAPNP.SYS display driver does not support standby.  Please consult your hardware vendor for an updated display driver.
    Standby (S3)
                    VgaSave
    Hibernate
            There are one or more legacy drivers installed:
                    VgaSave
            An internal system component has disabled hibernation.
    Hybrid Sleep

C:\Users\Administrator>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Any idea how to fix this ?

V.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:06 PM
  • if you enabled hyper-v role you can not hibernate nor sleep anymore... :( too bad

Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:48 AM