Media Center ATI display driver issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with ATI display drivers on an Upgrade to Vista Beta 2. The problem I have is that I am unable to change resolution, or even have my display recognized as anything other than a generic/Pnp display. Vista itself works fine, but Media Center goes to an immediate crash report generation when launched. My system specs are : Intel 3.2 Ghz processor, ATI X1800XL 256MB video card, 2 GB ram, and 500 GB hard drive (2 x 250 RAID0). ATI Catalyst Control Center will not launch, rendering it useless. So, my questions is whether or not I should do a fresh install as opposed to the upgrade. I have upgraded to the Beta 2 ATI driver, but wonder if the previous version is interfering. I tried the cat-uninstaller to remove all ATI products and then reinstalled the Beta 2 ATI driver with no luck. Any suggestion to resolve this issue? Thanks.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:16 PM

All replies

• I have a similar issue, although it doesn't seem as major as yours but its not allowing me to operate Vista with its complete ability.

AMD Duron Processor 1.3Ghz
    1Gig of RAM

ATI 9600 Pro Series 128 Mb (Monitor connect on VGA   40 inch TV connected using Component connect)
    ATI eHomeWonder TV adapter

I also have  a ATI 7500 Graphics card connected, but Vista enables  the secondary card. (if anyone knows how to fix this please post it)

Vista runs great with no crashes, but MCE Live TV constantly stutters and jitters, its unwatchable watching video files are fine as well, Live TV is the only issue I continue to have

Windows XP MCE I had no problems TV worked perfectly

System Specs:
    AMD Duron Processor 1.3GHz
    1Gig of RAM
    ATI 9600 Pro Series 128 Mb
    Envision 17" Monitor connect on VGA  
    40 inch Zenith on Component Output
    ATI e-HomeWonder
    ATI 7500 card (Deactivated in Vista)

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:58 PM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately hardware driver issues are the most common problems with any beta operating system. If you have used the most recent drivers from ATI and not had success, I recommend that you use the Microsoft Beta Client to file a bug while the ATI drivers are installed. Although we don't write the driver, I know that often those reports are passed directly to the hardware vendor developers, which would mean we have all of the system information required to assess the problem.

Please also include an e-mail address in your bug report, as you may be contacted for further information.

I am going to move this thread to the hardware forum so others may also find it more easily.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:14 PM
  • This seems an issue with the Vista Beta drivers available from ATi. The generic drivers with Vista do not allow for the full spectrum of resolutions available and do not seem to support widescreen HD, i.e. 720p or 1080i. With the ATi drivers I can get the desktop to 1280 x 720, but when you run Media Center the resolution changes to 1024 x 768 and the HD resolutions are not shown in setup has being available. When you exit Media Center the resolution does not revert to its previous setting and remains at 1024 x 768.

I've sent a bug report via the Microsoft Beta Client.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 12:03 PM
  • Definately having the exact same issues. New fresh install with ATI's beta version really no help at all. Reverted back to Vista's generic drivers and dual boot SUSE 10.1 as a temporary resolution to run my multimedia. 

the constant flickering with the ATI beta driver was driving me bonkers.  I have yet to have a smooth upgrade to new MS OS with an ATI card.  Last card I'll buy branded by them....

Good luck to you all with your resolutions...

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:21 AM
  • Yep, I started having display trouble with my ATI 9600 since Vista Build 5219.  In Media Center, the screen would flicker at various rates. After the recent release of Vista Beta 2, I installed on a newer system with an NVidia 6600GT and it works great.  Media center functions as it should.   Yesterday, I tried the new pre-RC1 (Build 5536) on my other machine with the ATI card, and couldn't do much of anything before the screen would freeze.  I will try other variations of the ATI driver and post again.
    Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:34 PM
  •  Hello All,

I have a ATI 9800 Pro 256mb video card and when I try to play a game my computer screen will freeze,most of the time I have to hit the reset button on the computer and reboot the system, playing games is not the only time this happens either...

I have all of the new ATI drivers installed using their instructions,in fact I went a little further during the uninstall of the old drivers and went thru the system and deleted all ATI drivers that I could find and then a install of the new software. I had this problem before I installed the new drivers and nothing has changed.

Sometimes the screen will freeze for a few minutes then my computer reboots and the ATI Control center displays telling me that it had to change my video settings and generated a report which it wants to send in. Well my ATI card has sent more bad reports to ATI than any other software that I have ever had. I went to the ATI website and submitted a ticket which is a big WASTE of time. They send you an email telling you to reinstall the drivers or something else that you have already done and then they mark the ticket as resolved,there is no follow up on the problem and no real help at all.

I have a Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHZ  with 512 MB of RAM running Windows XP SP2 with two 70 gig seagate hard drives.

Does anyone know a fix for this card?

The only fix that I can think of is to replace it with a different video card made by a company that stands by their products and will help with problems like the ones we are having and not mark an on going problem as resolved, I guess that is the only way they can keep their jobs and still get paid,but paid for not doing their job.

Does anyone want an easy job with ATI,you get paid to do Nothing at all, except mark files as resolved.??

What is a good graphics card?

Thank you for your time and help,

D.Bennet

Friday, September 8, 2006 10:30 AM