none
Data Protection Manager - Overwriting data on tape that has not expired RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an issue where there are a number of free tapes available. DPM writes to a tape and sets an expire data on the written data. For example:

If I remove this tape it will grab another tape that is in the library and write to it.

If the tape is left in the drive DPM will overwrite the Data on this tape and set a new expiry data.

It does not append data to it the next day and it does not tick it to be offline.

This used to work well if the tape was filled 100% but not currently as data written is 1,983,204.25 MB.

We are using SC 2012 SP1 DPM with all updates up to date. We are using LTO Ultrium 5 1.5TB tapes.

wojmis

Friday, April 17, 2015 12:22 AM

All replies

• you said:
    >If the tape is left in the drive

stop right there.  
    At the end of a tape backup, DPM will make the library to move the tape back into its slot, tapes will never be "left in the drive" by DPM.  If your tape does stay in the drive, it means something failed during the taping, and the data on the tape didn't end up with a protection date.  Also, the number of days between your backup day and the expiry day is very short and (only 1 week) and this is possibly playing a role.  However I agree that protected data on a tape should not be overwritten before the day arrives, are you sure this is the case and the data isn't being appended?
    (Don't forget to scroll up and down on the tape-contents window to check)

Monday, June 1, 2015 8:12 AM