WSUS 3 SP2, I broke it... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Morning Gentlemen, Ladies,

Need some advice

The path to my School's WSUS DB appears fubarred after a restore. 

"Unable to open the physical file "F:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf". Operating system error 5: "5(error not found)"."

I’m figuring that double backslash in the middle there is the culprit but I’m buggered if I can find the reference to it in the registry.

It seems odd that the path to the DB file and logs should be expressed as above.

I cannot uninstall as it fails to log into the DB. Nor can I reinstall.

Any ideas? (I have SQL Management Studio express on the server & can post full error logs should you require it.)

Please and thank you, 

Conal.

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Conal Hodgetts,

>The path to my School's WSUS DB appears fubarred after a restore.

How do you perform restore for the WSUS DB, could you provide the detailed steps.

>I have SQL Management Studio express on the server

What is the database of the WSUS server, WID or external SQL server?

>can post full error logs should you require it.

Please post the detailed log about the error.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Conal Hodgetts Saturday, February 20, 2016 12:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

Have made progress.

> Anne He - How do you perform restore for the WSUS DB?

- Restore the OS disk of the VM then selected from back-up folders I wished to restore. WSUS was one of them.
    - WSUS restore from back-up was read only, so that didn't help

Resolving event log issues as I go. Solution from dell site re: File system settings on C:\ seemed to assist with access to wsus once read only flag was removed from WSUS folder.

NTFS Warning 57 “Failed to Flush Data to the Transaction Log” in Core System Logs
    Description
    The following NTFS 57 warning is repeated continually throughout the server system logs. Furthermore, this warning may cause severe latency when mounting recovery points and may cause the Service to stop unexpectedly.
    “The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.”
    This warning appears when transaction logs are not configured to reset when the server reboots (i.e. when the logs fail to flush, the problem compounds upon itself).
    Resolution
    To resolve this issue, complete the following steps.
    o Open an elevated command prompt on the Core server.
    o Run fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\.
    o Verify that the command completed successfully.
    o Reboot the Core server.

In additional to this when i recreated the VM I neglected to configure the additional NIC on the box to it's previous static ip. - Ugh.

Rebooted and things started behaving thenselves

I have uninstalled, then re-installed WSUS and IISS now and things seem to be progressing well.

I'll also run a check disk too prior to the next reboot.

Thanks for answering Anne, some times it's just the questions that help.

Conal.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Conal Hodgetts,

>The path to my School's WSUS DB appears fubarred after a restore.

How do you perform restore for the WSUS DB, could you provide the detailed steps.

>I have SQL Management Studio express on the server

What is the database of the WSUS server, WID or external SQL server?

>can post full error logs should you require it.

Please post the detailed log about the error.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Conal Hodgetts Saturday, February 20, 2016 12:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

Have made progress.

> Anne He - How do you perform restore for the WSUS DB?

- Restore the OS disk of the VM then selected from back-up folders I wished to restore. WSUS was one of them.
    - WSUS restore from back-up was read only, so that didn't help

Resolving event log issues as I go. Solution from dell site re: File system settings on C:\ seemed to assist with access to wsus once read only flag was removed from WSUS folder.

NTFS Warning 57 “Failed to Flush Data to the Transaction Log” in Core System Logs
    Description
    The following NTFS 57 warning is repeated continually throughout the server system logs. Furthermore, this warning may cause severe latency when mounting recovery points and may cause the Service to stop unexpectedly.
    “The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.”
    This warning appears when transaction logs are not configured to reset when the server reboots (i.e. when the logs fail to flush, the problem compounds upon itself).
    Resolution
    To resolve this issue, complete the following steps.
    o Open an elevated command prompt on the Core server.
    o Run fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\.
    o Verify that the command completed successfully.
    o Reboot the Core server.

In additional to this when i recreated the VM I neglected to configure the additional NIC on the box to it's previous static ip. - Ugh.

Rebooted and things started behaving thenselves

I have uninstalled, then re-installed WSUS and IISS now and things seem to be progressing well.

I'll also run a check disk too prior to the next reboot.

Thanks for answering Anne, some times it's just the questions that help.

Conal.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Hi Conal,

Glad to hear you have solved the issue, and it's kind of you to share the solution with us.

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:18 AM