Enterprise Global template RRS feed

• Question

• Using MS Project Server 2007, I wanted to create two views using the Enterprise Global template, "Project Summary" and "Project Creation." I first created "Project Summary," and set it as the default view. Cool.  After I created it, I saved Enterprise Global, checked it in, closed down Project Server,and everything was cool. Great! Unfortunately, I then tried to create my other view in the
    Enterprise Global, "Project Creation." I saved it, checked in Enterprise Global, and lo and behold, the view I created first, "Project Summary", took on all the attribute columns I used for my second view, "Project Creation". Help! I am at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:19 AM

Answers

• answerseeker1 --

It would help if you knew what a View consists of in Microsoft Project 2007. Here's the definition:

View = Table + Filter + Group + Screen

The Table is the set of columns you see on the left side of the View (this is the key to solving your problem).  The Filter displays the rows you want to see displayed.  The Group is what organizes the rows into groups with similar attributes (most of the time, we use the group called No Group). The Screen is what appears on the right side of the View, whether it is some type of Gantt Chart screen, a timephased grid screen, or no screen at all.

To solve your problem, you need to create two different enterprise Tables, one for each of your Views.  Each Table will contain the columns you want to see in the View.  Then, open each View for editing and select the correct Table used with that View.

Also, let me give you a recommended best practice approach for creating custom Views in the Enterprise Global file:

1.  Open any enterprise project in Read-Only mode.
    2.  Create the View in that project and then test it to make sure it works correctly.
    3.  Open the Enterprise Global File.
    4.  Click Tools - Organizer.
    5.  On the left side of the Organizer dialog, select the Read-Only project.
    6.  On the right side of the Organizer dialog, leave the Enterprise Global selected.
    7.  Copy the View from the left side (the project) to the right side (Enterprise Global).
    8.  Click the Tables tab and copy any new tables from the left side to the right side.
    9.  Click the Filters tab and copy any new filters from the left side to the right side.
    10.  Click the Groups tab and copy and new Groups from the left side to the right side.
    11.  Click the Close button.
    12.  Save and close the Enterprise Global file.
    13.  Close the Read-Only project without saving it.
    14.  Exit Microsoft Project 2007, relaunch the software, and connect to Project Server again.

Using the above method will prevent the accidental creation of non-enterprise Views, Tables, Filters, or Groups in your Enterprise Global file.  Non-enterprise objects DO NOT belong in the Enterprise Global file and will trigger a warning message for every user every time he/she attempts to open an Enterprise Global file.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:21 PM