Cloud PBX with on-premises PSTN connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Just 2 question concerning Cloud PBX with on-premise PSTN connectivity. We are currently located in Canada and we dont have E5 with PSTN available yet. But we all have CloudPBX license in our tenant.

1)If i would move all the users to be homed online and in case of an emergency and the  front end server goes down. Will my users still be able to Function. I would think not. 

2)Lets say everyone is homed in the cloud would it be best to set up HA to have set up 2 Front End Servers, 2 Mediation Servers and 2 Edge Servers in different sites. I dont really want to set up Failover because E5 with PSTN will be availble by end of year. 

thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi ageless40 ,

Question 1:
    Yes, if SFB FE server is down, the users won’t be able to use PSTN services, for details, please refer to the following document
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455212.aspx

Question 2:
    For high availability, do you want to configure HA for CCE ? If so, please refer to the following document
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt605227.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#High
    If I misunderstand, please tell me.

Hope these information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Akabe Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:05 AM
  • 1 ) With Hybrid mode on and utilizing the on prem pstn connectivity , we need the On permise servers to be up and running , hence call will fail . 

2) When you have moved all users to online and there is no hybrid mode , then your call is  for a Cloud Connector Edition  which can utilize your on premise pstn calling devices as mentioned  by Alice. 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Proposed as answer by Akabe Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:34 AM
  • correct me if i am wrong but i dont want to use CCE because CCE doesnt have a front end server and without the front end server i will have no Response Groups. Unless there is another way around it?

I am ok if the user cannot use PSTN services but i would also think if the FRONT END goes down in a hybrid the users will not be able to connect to skype even thou they are homed in O365, because the dns records still point to the on premise correct?

thanks for the replies

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:58 PM
  • I am ok if the user cannot use PSTN services but i would also think if the FRONT END goes down in a hybrid the users will not be able to connect to skype even thou they are homed in O365, because the dns records still point to the on premise correct?

Hi ageless40,

Yes, I agree with you, so please make sure your SFB FE is running without any problems.

If you don’t want to use CCE, you could deploy Cloud PBX with on-premises PSTN connectivity in Skype for Business Server 2015.

Cloud PBX with on-premises PSTN connectivity is a new offering that enables you to leverage Cloud PBX capabilities for your users. This can help with the following scenarios:
    1.You have some of your Skype for Business users homed on-premises and others homed in Skype for Business Online. You can now enable Cloud PBX capabilities and features for your users homed in Skype for Business Online, but continue to use on-premises PSTN connectivity.
    2.You have an on-premises deployment and you want to move some or all of your users to Skype for Business Online but continue to use on-premises PSTN connectivity.

The following blog is for your reference
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt634319.aspx

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Can you HA the Mediation Server and Edge? 

For example can i have 2 Mediation Servers one which is powered off and only used in case of a failover same with the edge

thanks

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:54 PM
  • You can have mediation pool with multiple servers and same you can load balanced using load balanacer. Not sure why you want to keep it down instead of keeping both active.if one server down automatically another server will take all loads.

Same way edge also you can go for edge server pool with multiple edge servers in it.

Jayakumar K

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:26 PM
  • Can you HA the Mediation Server and Edge? 

For example can i have 2 Mediation Servers one which is powered off and only used in case of a failover same with the edge

thanks

Hi ageless40 ,

Yes, you can configure HA for Mediation server and Edge server, but you need to keep both Mediation server or Edge server running, because if the one is down, it will go to another server automatically. If you keep it off, when the server is down, it won’t failover automatically.

Regards,

Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, March 20, 2017 8:49 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:00 AM