none
Feature Request: Snippets and common fragments RRS feed

• General discussion

• When several close articles on the similar subjects are authored, it would be nice to be able to define an "shared" HTML fragment that could be easily inserted and would get "pulled" into the article at run-time.

For example, instead of language switching pages, one would create a snippet and then reference it on every page. The end result would look similar to these pages with shared "TOC".

The other benefit, of course, would be ability to maintain consistent look and feel for specific contributions. For example, current method of inserting HTML objects is to copy and paste HTML. Ability to insert a reference to a snippet would certainly simplify the editing.

Is this functionality in the pipeline or not at all?

Thanks

George

George Doubinski, MVP http://crm.georged.id.au
    • Changed type tonysoper_MSFT Friday, May 27, 2011 5:18 PM Feature Request
    • Edited by tonysoper_MSFT Friday, May 27, 2011 5:18 PM Feature Request
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• This is a great suggestion George. One of the ways we track and triage feature requests for the TNWIKI is through the "Vote as Helpful" button. I have changed your question to a discussion and pass it on to the internal group so that folks can review and vote on your suggestion. We'll communicate triage decisions on the next batch of features in this forum. When a decision is made on your suggestion, we'll update this thread as well.

tony soper
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:20 PM
  • I like the suggestion.

Wikipedia has reusable content in the form of transclusion, essentially an #include with macro expansion for content.  The core idea is to provide a way to reuse common text and, more importantly, provide an easy way to standardize the display of content chunks.  For example, locations have a template; many other examples exist, from Halo Weapons to vehicles.

So for your scenario, one could #include the links into the parent, limiting duplication. The scenario would become complicated if the links article expanded, but it could be managed.

What do others think?  Vote as helpful if you like the feature.

Eric Battalio

Friday, May 27, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I voted, just (sign in, then) and click on the vote as helpful button on George's post.
    tony soper
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Well ideally I wouldn't want a language options page to be a persistent list in an article that takes up half the page in order to list off 11 other language options. So in that case, I would just link to a separate language options page anyway. The best solution would be the drop-down menu of languages that you get on TechNet Library pages.

However, for categories or a series of articles, I think this would be great! It's very similar to the Categories lists that Wikipedia has at the bottom of their pages. So I'm voting as helpful because it would be great to have a categories feature like Wikipedia that was built in (so we don't have to create it automatically).

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Technical Writer (Blog, Twitter)
    Friday, May 27, 2011 10:50 PM
    Owner