I am now unable to use terminal service to connect to one of my Windows XP machines. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I used Terminal service to connect to one XP machine remotely from WinXP/Win 7 machines. At the beginning of that, it was fine but after some time, say 1/2 hours, that remote XP machine became unreachable and even I could not use Teamviewer to connect to it! But when I went to that remote XP machine, I saw that its connection was fine and I could pingwww.google.com on it!

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:42 AM

All replies

• i suggest you check your terminal server settings and group policy settings.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Thanks. Pls note that I am going
    outside (Win 7
    àWin xp). Group policy is only for
    Win 7. And the main point is, in the beginning, everything is fine for the
    connection and after few hours, I totally would have lost that connection and
    also can’t reconnect!

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Give me an overview of your terminal services infrasttructure.Domain environment? are both systems in same domain?.....etc

or u just doing remote desktop connection? or is it through a web browser...?...just let us know how you connect initially

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:11 AM
  • I only was doing remote desktop connection.
    1. First I allowed Remote access on that Win xp machine
    2. Next I connected to it from one Win 7 machine remotely through Terminal service

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:16 AM
  • when u ping the WinXp machine from Win7, is it successful?

and then,what is the EXACT ERROR it gives u when u try to do a remote desktop connection?

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:28 AM
  • One doubt for myself is: I wonder if the on-board network card of the Win XP machine is causing my ISP to reset its IP, since at the same time, I always get fine on another Win 7 machine which is next to the Win xp one and its IP was not reset on the same day. At night I finally got that the IP of the Win XP machine was reset by my ISP and also I have checked that my ISP could not help regarding this.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:41 AM
  • If DNS is working properly, then you should connect using hostname instead of IPaddress

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Thanks. How to make that remote Win 7 machine by which I was trying to connect to that Win xp one, “know” the hostname of the Win xp one?

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:59 AM
  • U really don't have to do anything, since you said ur ISP issues IP addresses, they should also have a DNS server that both systems point to.

to check this go to command prompt  type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) check for the DNS server address.

from your winxp computer ,go to command prompt, type "hostname" (without the quotes) press enter, this gives you the hostname of your Winxp Machine.Now, when next you want to connect to the win-xp machine from the Win7 machine, use the hostname u got from the previous command.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Thanks. How can I make use of the DNS servers' addresses I have got? If I only put host name for the Remote desktop, it is not "recognizable".
    What is the main problem from Terminal service? What is it waiting for sometimes? Why is it sometimes OK, sometimes not?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:38 AM