none
Latest incarnation of Office 2016 home and business cannot find shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am an IT person and today I configured a new Dell Optiplex with Office 2016 home and business with an account and cannot find the Office shortcuts for Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

I can launch the apps from the start menu and pin the apparent icons to the task bar, but when I go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, there are no shortcuts for Office 2016.

So I started a windows explorer search and found word in this weird location:

C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Word_16010.9029.2253.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16

If I try to execute it and  I get a permission error.

There is also a winword.exe without icon located at  C:\Users\administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe for every user.

In this folder I find outlook.exe, excel.exe, msaccess.exe, mspub.exe, powerpnt.exe, I am confused.

In the past I used to copy the Office shortcuts in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs to C:\Users\Public\Desktop so that every user would get their Office shortcuts on the desktop.

Why is Microsoft taking this sick approach?

How can I create shortcuts for Office 2016 now? What if I want to use a windows group policy to push the shortcuts for the users on their desktop in my active directory network?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Best regards

Alfred56

• Edited by alfred56 Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:11 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Alfred,

The Windowsapps folder is the location where apps from the Windows Store get installed. So I assume it got installed through the Windows Store.

If you want to create shortcuts for Apps from the Windows Store, you can use a workaround:

1. Open your file explorer

2. Paste the following in the address bar: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

3. Create the shortcut for the apps you want.

Please remember to mark the post(s), which answered your question.

• Marked as answer by alfred56 Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:59 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Alfred,

The Windowsapps folder is the location where apps from the Windows Store get installed. So I assume it got installed through the Windows Store.

If you want to create shortcuts for Apps from the Windows Store, you can use a workaround:

2. Paste the following in the address bar: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

• Marked as answer by alfred56 Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:59 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Hello Alfred,

Hi HardcoreCheese,

thanks indeed, top solution.

The office suite was preinstalled on the computer and did not realize was a Windows Store app.

In the future I will download a click-to-run version.

Best regards

Alfred56

Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:03 PM