How to lock the watermark in documents? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Ms. Office expert,

we are using office 2010 with latest service pack for our clients. some users has been asking of whether we could lock the watermark of the document created so people can't remove it?

Any ideas? The only way i know is to have the logo or watermark on the header or footer and lock it with password.

Thanks

Regards,

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:42 AM

Answers

• As I said in my previous reply, it could be via editing restrictions with a password. That is done via Developer|Restrict Editing|Editing Restrictions>No changes (read only) and marking so much of the document body as you want to be editable as editing exceptions. Regardless, for the reasons I outlined, such 'protection' would be singularly ineffective.

If you want to send someone a file they can't easily edit, save the document as a PDF and send that. PDFs can be given a variety of protection levels, including against allowing their content to be edited, copied or even printed.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Henry2050 Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:31 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:33 PM

All replies

• Indeed, locking via editing restrictions with a password is all that Word offers. That said, such a scheme wouldn't prevent even a novice copying the content and pasting that into another document from which one could delete the watermark. With a modicum of care, the content could even be copied to another document without including the watermark in the first place...

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Friday, December 9, 2016 2:11 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hi Macropod,

I know that people still could copy and paste the content of the documents. but since the document is for the management staff to send out on behalf of company, the management staff would like to ensure that the watermark behind is not removable. So, it is the genuine document.

is there any way that we could lock the watermark? i even can't any function to lock it with password.

Thanks

Thursday, December 8, 2016 12:52 PM
  • As I said in my previous reply, it could be via editing restrictions with a password. That is done via Developer|Restrict Editing|Editing Restrictions>No changes (read only) and marking so much of the document body as you want to be editable as editing exceptions. Regardless, for the reasons I outlined, such 'protection' would be singularly ineffective.

If you want to send someone a file they can't easily edit, save the document as a PDF and send that. PDFs can be given a variety of protection levels, including against allowing their content to be edited, copied or even printed.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Henry2050 Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:31 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:33 PM
  • Paul is correct.

A truism is that if someone can see something, they can copy it. If they can copy it, they can edit it. All you can do is make it more difficult. One way to make things more difficult is to distribute in pdf format.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, December 9, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks. I think on microsoft word, the only way is to use restrict editing on the developer tab, whereby the PDF will have broader choice of security permission.

Many thanks for your advise.

Regards,

H

Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Hi Henry2050, 

As mentioned by our friends here, one way to prevent watermarks from being removed is to protect the entire file.

Actually, there is another workaround. Instead of inserting watermarks in usual ways with the built-in command, you can insert a "Picture Content Control" in the Header. But before this, you have to save your watrmarks as pictures first.
    Then insert picture into the control and adjust the size and position and the text wrapping style as well. Set the picture, i.e "watermark", in "Behind text" wrapping style.
    Next ensure the "Picture Content Control" cannot be deleted or edited.

For more detailed information, you can refer to this article:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/2-ways-prevent-others-deleting-watermark-word-document/ 

Hope that helps!

L

• Edited by CNL777 Monday, April 17, 2017 3:39 AM
    Saturday, April 8, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Next ensure the "Picture Content Control" cannot be deleted or edited.
    But unless you protect the document, even that is easily circumvented by editing the content control properties.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, April 8, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hi Henry2050, 

As mentioned by our friends here, one way to prevent watermarks from being removed is to protect the entire file.

Actually, there is another workaround. Instead of inserting watermarks in usual ways with the built-in command, you can insert a "Picture Content Control" in the Header. But before this, you have to save your watrmarks as pictures first.
    Then insert picture into the control and adjust the size and position and the text wrapping style as well. Set the picture, i.e "watermark", in "Behind text" wrapping style.
    Next ensure the "Picture Content Control" cannot be deleted or edited.

Hope that helps!

VC

Hi VC,

may I know which "Picture Content Control" that you refer to? where to find this function?

Thanks

Regards,

H

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:53 AM
  • It's on the Developer tab - just like the other content controls.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 10, 2017 4:03 AM
  • How to find / use the Developer Tab.

Friday, April 14, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Hi Macropod,

I know that people still could copy and paste the content of the documents. but since the document is for the management staff to send out on behalf of company, the management staff would like to ensure that the watermark behind is not removable. So, it is the genuine document.

is there any way that we could lock the watermark? i even can't any function to lock it with password.

Thanks

A thought in response to "So, it is the genuine document." What is going to prevent someone from editing the document, leaving your watermark in place? Then you have a false document with your certificate of authenticity in the watermark?

I think there is some flawed thinking going on here.

Friday, April 14, 2017 1:24 PM