Migrate SCCM 2012 to new forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We will soon have an AD migration from domA in forest1 to domB in forest2

In the source (domA forest 1) we have a SCCM 2012 SP1 composed of only one Primary server and various Distribution points in the country (no CAS or secondary server). Only clients computers are managed by SCCM, not servers (around 3000 client computers).

As we are migrating soon to domB forest2, i would like to know the best and easiest way for the team that work with SCCM to migrate the infrastructure to domB forest2 while still be able at any time of the migration to manage client computers (in both domains)

Thank you for your suggestions ! :)

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:00 PM

Answers

• Thank you guys.

I think I got it now.

The best way is then to keep my current SCCM infra until all the clients are moved to the new domain

Then build a new primary in that new domain, migrate all clients and objects and reassign them and finally decommission the "old" SCCM.

I will do cross-forest management from the source to the target during the AD migration.
    • Marked as answer by DamienB11 Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:31 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:55 AM

All replies

• So I did more research on this, and here is what I think would be the best solution (if someone can concur with me? :) ).

As a side note, there is a two-way trust relationship between domA and domB

Ok so the first step would be to install a primary server in domB and put it as child of the the primary of domA.
    The second step would be to wait for all the packages, collections, task sequences... to sync with domB
    The third step is to wait the AD migration is over and that all clients have moved to domB.
    The fourth step is to put the primary in domA as child of the primary in domB (and therefore promoting the primary in domB)
    The fifth and last step is to reassign all clients to the primary in domB, move the DPs in domB, and decomission the primary server in domA.

Am I right? 

This will allow a continuous service of the SCCM infrastructure, being able to manage and deploy on both forests, and make its migration "smooth".

• Edited by DamienB11 Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:16 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:14 AM
  • Ok so the first step would be to install a primary server in domB and put it as child of the the primary of domA.

That won't work in CM12. Primary sites can only be "child" sites of a CAS (and a CAS is only needed for scale out purposes, e.g. >100k clients). Plus you cannot remove a primary after it was joined to a CAS.
    Alternative: create a new primary in the new domain and migrate all objects using ConfigMgr's migration mechanism.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Thank you for your answer Torsten.

So if I get what you are saying right, the best solution would be to:

Install a new primary in the new domain
    Migrate all objects from the "old" primary to the new one (I haven't heard for CM migration mechanism, do you have a guide on how to migrate all objects?)
    Once everything is migrated, decomission the old primary and manage both domains/forest from the primary in the target.

Is this right ? Although I don't get the migration of objects part... :/

Thank you.
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Also, don't forget to "migrate" your clients. Here you can read everything about migrations in ConfigMgr: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682006.aspx

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Friday, May 2, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Thank you guys.

I think I got it now.

The best way is then to keep my current SCCM infra until all the clients are moved to the new domain

Then build a new primary in that new domain, migrate all clients and objects and reassign them and finally decommission the "old" SCCM.

I will do cross-forest management from the source to the target during the AD migration.
    • Marked as answer by DamienB11 Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:31 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:55 AM