Odd Problem with Word Templates RRS feed

• Question

• Running Office 2010 Home and Business on Windows 7 machines that are members of a domain. Folder redirection policies in place. Office came preinstalled with each new PC.

Users on these new PCs are complaining that they cannot modify the default font settings. Changing the font to Times New Roman 12 pt and clicking the Set as Default button appears to work, but when they exit Word and start it up again, the program reverts to Calibri 11pt. No error messages present in the Event log. So, I tried it with my regular user account. Sure enough, I have the same problem even if I make the changes in the Change Styles.

I noticed that there is no Normal.dotm file in the expected location under File > Options >Advanced > File Locations... So, I opened up a fresh document, made the changes to the font, and saved the document as a Word Template called Normal.dotm. Opening Word, Calibri is still the default font set at 11 pt. Then, I tried opening Normal.dotm by double-clicking on it. When Word opens, the font is still set at Calibri 11pt.

Finally, I tried changing the font logged on using a user account with Administrator privileges. It makes no difference. This is happening on all PCs (which happen to be all new and identical).

I appreciate any insight that is sent my way.

Bob Esquenazi
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

I see that you have changed the file location via group policy, will you consider this is the cause of the trouble?

I mean, try to change the File Locations to another place, e.g. we can disable the modified settings in GPO, so it will turn back to the default locations.

If that will work, try to modify it to another location by modify the settings in Word, if it works, then we can copy this to the GPO.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng
    Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help andunmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, July 4, 2011 1:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bobinazee Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hi Bob,

As there has  been no update for a couple of days, I will mark the reply as answer to closed this thread.
    And if you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer, this thread will be re-opened.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 1:41 AM
  • I'm sorry, Max. I thought I had responded to you.

Are you suggesting that it might be a permissions issue? That I might not have properly configured the parent folder? I'm willing to concede that that may be the issue, here. I've read dozens of articles on best practices for configuring Folder Redirection. But, I've found that some contradict each other, or I'm just unsuccessful at setting it up properly.

In my current configuration, the user's folders are being created by the system, with no error messages. Still, I'm having problems like this.

Bob Esquenazi
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hello Bob,

Default font info was saved in the normal.dotm file.

Please go to %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\, do you see normal.dotm in this folder?

If not, I suspend you may configure the Word to use a normal.dotm on a network share.

Looking forward to your update.

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your help. That folder does not exist. When I look at the file locations in Word, User Templates are found under the following path,  \\svr1\users2\besquenazi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates, but the Normal.dotm file does not exist there, either. So, decided to create one by modifying the Normal font on a new document and saving it as a Document Template with the name Normal. dotm in the User Templates folder I indicated above.

The template saves just fine. But when I close and then open Word again, the Normal font settings revert to Calibri 11.

Even if I exit Word and simply open a new document by double-clicking on the Normal.dotm template, Word's settings do not assume the changes I saved in the Normal.dotm template.

I've never experienced this before.

Thanks for giving this a crack. Let me know if i can provide you with any additional information.

Best regards,

Bob

Bob Esquenazi
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Glad to see you again, Bob.

Yes, it seems to be strange issue.

Did you check the Word Startup folder? We can check its location at File > Options >Advanced > File Locations...

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt response, Daisy...

The Word Startup folder path is set as follows:

C:\Users\swilde.GLASSMC.000\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

That folder is empty.

Bob Esquenazi
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:43 AM
  •  

Hello Bob,

Yes, the startup folder was in the local default location and it does not take startup macros. It seems not the entire user profile was redirect to the network drive that the template folder was manually configured to network drive.

Based on my tests, I suggest you copy the location path in Word, open Windows Explorer to paste the path. I noticed a strange behavior that we cannot see the normal.dotm when I open file location in Word but directly open the folder in Windows Explorer show the normal.dotm and emailnormal.dotm correctly.

If it persists, could you configure the user templates location back to local path C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Restart Word again and close, do you see a normal.dotm file appears?

In addition, did all the machines configure user template location to \\svr1\users2\besquenazi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:53 AM
  • If we still cannot find the normal.dotm file to edit the default font, we may consider to use process monitor to capture Word loading process, it will show us where Word load the normal.dotm.
    Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I changed the path for the User Templates to the local drive instead of the network drive as follows:

C:\Users\username.domainname.000\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Then I opened Word, modified the font settings so that they would be set as the default for all documents based on the Normal template. I closed Word and reopened it. The font settings had reverted to the Calibri 11.

Checking the Templates folder I indicated above, I found the NormaleEmail.dotm, but no sign of the Normal.dotm template. So, I once again modified the default font settings and save the new document as a template I called Normal.dotm in the local Templates folder. I closed Word.

When I opened it, the font settings were still set to Calibri 11. Opening Word by double-clicking on the Normal.dotm Template however does also shows the font settings at Calibri 11. HOWEVER, if start Word by double-clicking on a template with a name OTHER THAN Normal.dotm, the Times New Roman 12 font settings are visible. Progress!

Still, on your advice, I ran a Process Monitor and started up Word. I can see that it is using the local path to CreateFile Normal.dotm, but the Result is coming up as "Name not Found". It actually appears to do this several times with no luck. It did this regardless whether the Normal.dotm file was in the Templates folder or not.

I hope this is meaningful to you. It's very odd behavior to me. Just doesn't make sense.

Thanks agian for your assistance...

Bob

P.S. I just noticed this evening that when I try to save a document in Word, the message "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations. Click here to learn more..." I haven't Googled this message. Perhaps it will lead me to a solution.

Bob Esquenazi
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Thank you for your tests.

Based on my experience, manually create normal.dotm may not do the work. We still need to find the normal.dotm file created by the Word and edit it to change the default font.

For the process monitor result, it seems Word cannot successfully create the normal.dotm template. For the error message “Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations”, it seems to be a folder redirect problem.

So, let’s try to narrow down the issue with following steps:

1.       Based on my research, the error we received related to previous known bug, please make sure all updates for Windows and Office were installed and check the issue again.

2.       As the error message we received was related to Windows redirecting problem, I suggest we test the issue with local folder to narrow down the root cause. If we still cannot see the normal.dotm successfully created in a local folder, we will troubleshoot on the Word component. If it works fine with local folder, we will then try to involve a Windows engineer to troubleshoot the folder redirecting error first.

·         Configure template folder to local,

·         close Word, start Word, at this time, we should not see the normal.dotm yet,

·         close Word again. We should see a normal.dotm file created in the template folder at this time.

·         What’s the result on your end?

Thanks, on my end, I will capture a process monitor of Word start/close to see the normal.dotm creation process, to check if "Name not Found" is OK.

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    Monday, July 18, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Hello,

I’ve done the processmon. It’s OK to find Name not found at first:

4:45:44.6164206 PM        WINWORD.EXE 1200       CreateFile                C:\Users\daisycao\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm         NAME NOT FOUND         Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

We will later find the success record:

4:45:44.6766306 PM        WINWORD.EXE 1200       CloseFile                C:\Users\daisycao\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm         SUCCESS

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support

• Edited by Daisy Cao Friday, July 29, 2011 3:35 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Hi

Try the following:

• Open a new blank document.
    • Click Page Layout.
    • Click Fonts
    • Select Office Classic
    • Click Home
    • Click Change Styles
    • Select Set as default.

Office 2010 documents are controlled by Themes, only by customising the Theme will any changes stick.  The old methods of working, relying on normal.dot to set/store default font is no longer true.

Hope this helps

G North MCT
    Monday, July 18, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hello, Daisy...thanks for sticking with me on this.

1. Yes, this PC is current with all recommended and critical updates, patches and service packs.

2. I followed your directions and the normal.dotm never appeared.

Bob Esquenazi
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Hi, again...

I uploaded the PML. I sure do appreciate all of your help.

Bob Esquenazi
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Hello Bob,

I also checked the steps provided by G North, but the font restore back when restarting Word.

I then checked by editing normal.dotm, it works for change the default font with following steps:

1.       Locate normal.dotm file in the local template folder

2.       Right click the normal.dotm and choose Open, please note double click on the normal.dotm will not open itself but create a document based on the template.

3.       Change the font and save/close.

4.       Start Word again and the default font was changed.

At this point, let’s still try to find the normal.dotm file.

I checked the process monitor file and noticed following:

10:36:15.3293649 AM    WINWORD.EXE 5492       RegQueryValue                HKU\S-1-5-21-2642231600-2237651658-1754620561-1106\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\File MRU\Item 1   SUCCESS              Type: REG_SZ, Length: 246, Data: [F00000000][T01CC437354D5CEA0][O00000000]*C:\Users\swilde.GLASSMC.000\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm.dotx

10:36:26.7283333 AM     WINWORD.EXE 5492       CreateFile                C:\Users\swilde.GLASSMC.000\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm                NAME NOT FOUND                Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

10:36:14.9739360 AM     WINWORD.EXE 5492       CreateFile           C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Normal.dotm   NAME NOT FOUND         Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

First, it seems the manually created normal.dotm file was saved as normal.dotm.dotx. Please delete this file as I am not sure if it affects normal.dotm creation. Please also enable to show file extension in Folder Options.

And it seems the normal.dotm was not successfully created in the template folder as I did not see a success record.

I also noticed Word try to create normal.dotm in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\, please check this folder, do you see the file?

To figure out the root cause, could you please let us know more on how you redirect the folders and do you use roaming user profile that store user profile on network drive?

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Hello Bob,

My colleague Chris helpied me find a soluton for the issue. It s the offline files option on the server, please try to disable it to not use offline cache, we should see the normal.dotm file.

looking forward to your update.

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

Disable Offline Cache for which folders? The User share that contains each user's redirected folders?

Also, in answer to your previous post questions:

We are not using Roaming Profiles. I had read somewhere that Roaming Profiles were an inefficient method of what can be achieved by simply redirecting folders such as AppData and Documents.

Thanks again...

Bob

Bob Esquenazi
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Hello Bob,

Yes, please disable the offline options of the folder on the server.

For our issue, it seems occur when redirecting the folder, could you remove the GP on one machine to test the issue?

In addition, I would like to confirm the result of following steps on your end.

How to change the style of the default font in Word 2010

To change the style of the default font in Word 2010, follow these steps:

1.     If you do not have a document open, create a new document that is based on the Normal template. To do this, click File, click New, click Blank Document, and then click Create.

2.     In the Font group, click the Font flyout.

3.     Select the options that you want to apply to the default font, such as font style and font size. If you selected specific text, the properties of the selected text are set in the dialog box.

4.     Click Set As Default.

5.     Select the All documents based on the Normal.dotm template? option, and then click OK.

For info, please refer to How to set the default font in Word: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291291

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Is there any update of the issue?
    Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    Monday, August 1, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Daisy,

I've been reading this thread... i have a very similar problem but i am using”remote profiles”.

I’ve create a new OU with no GPO’s.  I’ve added a machine to this OU and updated the GPO policy after 20mins, to be on the save side i rebooted the machine as well.  I’ve logged on with a newly created user, open word watch the process monitor and i was seeing NAME NOT FOUND when searching on Normal.dotm.

This is the weird bit i logged off with outlook open and i saw the emailnormal.dot being created under the user profile... so i repeated the process and if by magic the normal.dotm was created unable the users profile.

But i can’t save any changes to the normal.dotm file... do you think you’d be able to help?

Ta

Woody

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Hi Daisy, and anyone else out there,
    I have exactly the same problem with my Word 2010 normal template.  I'm a laptop user - a student and I only use the laptop for home and school use.  I'm in law school, so there are certain specifications for documents that I submit for school.  I've made changes to the normal template, but they won't "stick".  When I close Word, the changes are gone when I reopen it again.

Hopefully, you've found the solution to this issue by now...

Thanks!

Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:29 AM