none
Power Query and Power View RRS feed

• Question

• If I have brought in data from a SQL Server (SSAS Tabular) data source into a Power View worksheet, and then I want to add an external data source, such as weather data from a public web site, can this be done?  I want to be able to add the data and, if possible, create a relationship for the external data to the Power View's SQL Server data source.  For example, if I have sales data for many store locations, I want to join the store sales data to the weather data by city and state, for instance.  I know that SSAS tabular models do not allow composite key relationships, but was wondering if Power Query/View can allow for this.

I realize that I can import the data into SSAS and create the relationships there, but I wanted to see if Power Query/View has this extensible feature.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:22 PM

Answers

• I thinks its only possible if you bring required data from SSAS tabular in PowerPivot, then you can also bring your other data also in PowerPivot.

Once complete set of data is available in PowerPivot then this can act as single source of data for your powerview reports.

Also you can create different relations based on your requirement in PowerPivot.

Thanks,

Sagar K 

(Blog: http://datamazik.blogspot.in/)

Friday, August 22, 2014 3:37 AM

All replies

• I thinks its only possible if you bring required data from SSAS tabular in PowerPivot, then you can also bring your other data also in PowerPivot.

Once complete set of data is available in PowerPivot then this can act as single source of data for your powerview reports.

Also you can create different relations based on your requirement in PowerPivot.

Thanks,

Sagar K 

(Blog: http://datamazik.blogspot.in/)

Friday, August 22, 2014 3:37 AM
  • Yes, currently Power Query does not support SSAS Tabular as a data source.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:53 PM
    Owner