none
Possible to dump storage pool data to network share? RRS feed

• Question

• I've found some discussions in this forum about replicate DPM storage pool data to another DPM server.  But I just have one DPM server.  Is it possible to "dump" the storage pool raw data to a network drive (which is, of course, big enough to hold everything)?

Thanks in advance
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I've found some discussions in this forum about replicate DPM storage pool data to another DPM server.  But I just have one DPM server.  Is it possible to "dump" the storage pool raw data to a network drive (which is, of course, big enough to hold everything)?

Thanks in advance

Hi Horinius,

Yes this is possible. I am not sure why you want to do this as it is not recommended. Microsoft did not design the volumes in DPM's storage pool to have drive letters for a reason. It is intended for DPM to manage the storage pool and for us to interact with the data via the DPM console.

Basically you can get to the data via Windows explorer using the replica path. You can access this data without adding a drive letter to the volumes from the storage pool. These volumes exist as mount points here C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\ but are not labeled in a easily readable format for humans. The DPM console does the mapping of these replicas to the data for us. You can drill down into this replica folders find the data you want to dump on a network share and copy it out. Keep in mind when the data is on your network share DPM is not aware of this, so you will no longer have a nice mapping or interface that you can use to work with the data.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes this is possible. I am not sure why you want to do this as it is not recommended. Microsoft did not design the volumes in DPM's storage pool to have drive letters for a reason. It is intended for DPM to manage the storage pool and for us to interact with the data via the DPM console.

The storage pool is built on top of a RAID5 group.  One of the physical hard drives was out of order few days ago.  I had it replaced.  Since it's been two years that nothing has been updated in the server so it's a good opportunity to do some firmwares and drives updates.

So I would need to backup (momentarily) storage pool data in case something goes bad.

Basically you can get to the data via Windows explorer using the replica path. You can access this data without adding a drive letter to the volumes from the storage pool. These volumes exist as mount points here C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\ but are not labeled in a easily readable format for humans. The DPM console does the mapping of these replicas to the data for us. You can drill down into this replica folders find the data you want to dump on a network share and copy it out. Keep in mind when the data is on your network share DPM is not aware of this, so you will no longer have a nice mapping or interface that you can use to work with the data.

OK, I went to that folder and found the following sub-folders inside: "File System", "Microsoft Exchange Writer" and "Non VSS Datasource Writer".  Inside every one of them, I have something like the following image:

But when I want to see the content of everyone of them, I got the message:

Should I get to "security tab" and change the setting?  Or did I make mistaken in understanding your message?  Because you've written ".....The DPM console does the mapping of these replicas to the data for us...."

So the question of "how to copy the raw data to network share" still remains...

• Edited by Horinius Friday, March 30, 2012 4:05 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 4:04 PM
  • I have actually another discussion at this link:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmstorage/thread/6a392745-9bb4-43f4-91cf-e90dd3583a0a

But it seems like the answer to my question is "No, it's impossible".

Anyway, I've taken the chance to update the firmware and drivers for my server without backing up the storage pool and luckily, nothing's screwed up.

So I close this discussion.

• Marked as answer by Horinius Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:15 AM