SLI video card setup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a problem with my SLI video card setup.
    I have Windows Vista with two NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT cards.
    The two cards are physically installed on the motherboard correctly, and the SLI card is inserted in the correct direction.
    The SLI wire adapter between the two cards is connected properly.
    I believe the BIOS is set correctly also.
    Both cards show up in the device manager, although the second has an error. "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
    The drivers installed for both are version 7.15.11.8120
    In Sytem Information both cards show up under Components -> Display. But the second has a lot of information "Not Available".
    No setting becomes available on the NVIDIA Control Panel either. This is where I would have beleived to find a setting or checkbox, but there is nothing.
    Any ideas you may have to help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hi again,
    I decided to try swapping the cards around.
    Found that there was no graphics output on the other card when used as the primary card.
    I have now removed the (faulty) card and gone to a one card setup.
    I changed over the SLI card on the motherboard.
    I will see if the card can be replaced under warranty, but its been quite a while now so I doubt it.
    One last question: I do know that both cards have to be the same. For example both 6800GT. But do they both need to be by the same manufacturer?
    If I can not get a new card under warranty I may be forced to buy a new card.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Phil
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for updating.

Regarding the question “if it is needed that both of the cards are made by the same manufacture and same model.”, I would like to share the following for your reference:

SLI - FAQ

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

Please notice the following questions on the page:

Can I mix and match graphics cards?

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If you need further information, it is recommended that you contact NVIDIA support or the card’s manufacture.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:05 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your post.

This should be a hardware issue and let’s try the following to narrow down it:

Please remove and reinstall the current NVIDIA Graphic card driver.

If you cannot find the item in the Programs and Features. Please go to device manager to remove the driver.

Check the device driver

==============

1) Click Start, right click Computer and choose Properties.

2) Click Device Manager.

3) Navigate to the display adapter.

4) Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”, click OK and reboot the computer.

5) After the computer restarts, please install the driver again to see if it works.

Please also try the new driver released by NVIDIA. (Note: please remove the previous version before installing this.)

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Considering the issue is related to the hardware, it is also recommended that you contact your Graphic card’s support for help.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,
    Thank you for your answer.
    I have tried removing and reinstalling the driver as you suggested.
    And tried the latest driver from NVIDIA.
    It took quite a long time to reboot, so I was optimistic.
    Unfortunately it did not work.
    I still have the Code 43 error in the properties of the video card in the device manager.
    And still no setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel either.
    Before my previous post here I did try the card manufacturer's support. They did give some basic suggestions, all of which I tried, but they did not reply further.
    Do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks very much,
    Phil
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Hi again,
    I decided to try swapping the cards around.
    Found that there was no graphics output on the other card when used as the primary card.
    I have now removed the (faulty) card and gone to a one card setup.
    I changed over the SLI card on the motherboard.
    I will see if the card can be replaced under warranty, but its been quite a while now so I doubt it.
    One last question: I do know that both cards have to be the same. For example both 6800GT. But do they both need to be by the same manufacturer?
    If I can not get a new card under warranty I may be forced to buy a new card.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Phil
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for updating.

Regarding the question “if it is needed that both of the cards are made by the same manufacture and same model.”, I would like to share the following for your reference:

SLI - FAQ

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

Please notice the following questions on the page:

Can I mix and match graphics cards?

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?

If you need further information, it is recommended that you contact NVIDIA support or the card’s manufacture.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Thank you very much Nicholas for taking the time to answer my questions.
    I am sorry that I have asked questions where I could have found the answers in a general FAQ and therefore taking your time away from more pressing issues.
    Again, thanks very much for your help.
    All the best.
    Phil
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:21 PM