none
Interpretation of MAP columns "Number of processors", "Number of cores", "Number of logical processors"? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I need to interpret the columns "Number of processors", "Number of cores", "Number of logical processors"? I have a SQLServerAssessmentsheet of a customer and I see Number of processors is 2, Number of cores is 8, Number of logical processors is 8 on a physical server, but I also see Number of processors is 2, Number of cores is 0, Number of logical processors is 2 on a virtual server. 

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• For a physical machine, the processor count is the number of sockets with a processor installed. Number of cores is how many cores total (i.e. 2 processors with 4 cores each will show as 8 cores for the machine). Logical is the number of pseudo-processors. For example, Intel uses hyper-threading which splits a single core into 2 “logical” processors and so Windows will show a 4 core with hyper-threading as 8 logical processors, but AMD does not use hyper-threading so it will only show up as 4 logical processors, 1 for 1.

Think of virtual machines as a physical machine without multi-core or hyper-threaded processors. The number or virtual processors assigned to the VM is the processor count, there are no cores, so the total logical count is the same as the assigned count.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:29 AM