none
Setting up Sub-Domain Emails & Encryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

A customer has requested new email addresses using a sub-domain address and then have any emails from these new email addresses be encrypted.
    For example, current email addresses are in format user@domain.com, the requested sub-domain email addresses will be user@a.domain.com

The customer is using Exchange 2007 so do I need to do the following?

1. Create an accepted authoritative domain for a.domain.com on the Hub Transport Server
    2. Do I need a new Forward Lookup Zone for a.domain.com with MX records & CNAME for autodiscover pointing to current Exchange server?
    3. Will I need to create new public MX records for a.domain.com or will MX records for domain.com be sufficient?
    4. Anything else need to be done?

Lastly, is it possible to have encryption for emails sent from user@a.domain.com without affecting emails sent from user@domain.com?  If it is possible, how do I set it up as I have never done this before?

Thanks in Advance
    Mark

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:45 PM

Answers

• On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:45:15 +0000, MisterOh wrote:

>A customer has requested new email addresses using a sub-domain address and then have any emails from these new email addresses be encrypted. For example, current email addresses are in format user@domain.com?, the requested sub-domain email addresses will be user@a.domain.com
    >
    >The customer is using Exchange 2007 so do I need to do the following?
    >
    >1. Create an accepted authoritative domain for a.domain.com on the Hub Transport Server

Yes.

>2. Do I need a new Forward Lookup Zone for a.domain.com with MX records

Yes.

>& CNAME for autodiscover pointing to current Exchange server?

If the new e-mail address is just a secondary proxy address you don't
    have to do anything with AutoDiscover.

>3. Will I need to create new public MX records for a.domain.com or will MX records for domain.com be sufficient?

You'll need additiona MX records.

>4. Anything else need to be done?

That depends, I guess, by what you mean by "encrypted". Are you using
    that to mean you want to use TLS to encrypt the transmission channel
    between the two end-points? Or are you expecting the messages
    themselves to be encrypted as in S/MIME?

>Lastly, is it possible to have encryption for emails sent from user@a.domain.com without affecting emails sent from user@domain.com? If it is possible, how do I set it up as I have never done this before?

Unless you have some sort of engrypting gateway any message encryption
    will be done by the sender. Exchange won't encrypt the messages.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:29 AM