none
RRAS IKEv2 VPN CRL Checking

Question

• Hi All, 

I've installed a RRAS (Win2016) as an IKEv2 VPN server. The VPN authentication is configured to use a machine certificate on the clients. The clients (Windows 10) receive a computer certificate from an internal CA. So far everything is working as expected. Clients are connecting without any problems. The tighten the security I want to revoke certificates when necessary. When I revoke a certificate of a client and publish the CRL, clients are still able to connect. I double checked the CRL and confirmed the revoked certificate is on the list.

I already tried this setting: Netsh ipsec dynamic set config property=strongcrlcheck value=2

Any tips?

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:23 PM

All replies

• I Also have this issue, Did you manage to find an answer?
    Friday, May 11, 2018 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please try the following steps to see if it could be of help.

1 Please check if this certificate was deleted on personal certificates of the PC. Type the command certmgr in the RUN.

2 Check local CRL cache if it exists, and delete the cache via below command.

certutil -urlcache crl delete

You could check its cache with the following thread,  

http://www.b-blog.info/en/viewing-and-deleting-the-ocsp-and-crl-cache-on-windows.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

3 You can use network monitor tool to capture the trace for VPN connected authentication, to see if there is a new re-generated cert to exchange and authenticate.  

4 If the client has a new re-generated cert, we’ll next check if it is configured user certificates auto-enroll for domain clients in the domain group policy. If auto-enrolling is configured, it will re-generate for rightful domain users.

You may refer to the following article to check GPO settings.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/core-network-guide/cncg/server-certs/configure-server-certificate-autoenrollment

Hope this helps. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 14, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Please try the following steps to see if it could be of help.

1 Please check if this certificate was deleted on personal certificates of the PC. Type the command certmgr in the RUN.

2 Check local CRL cache if it exists, and delete the cache via below command.

certutil -urlcache crl delete

You could check its cache with the following thread,  

http://www.b-blog.info/en/viewing-and-deleting-the-ocsp-and-crl-cache-on-windows.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

3 You can use network monitor tool to capture the trace for VPN connected authentication, to see if there is a new re-generated cert to exchange and authenticate.  

4 If the client has a new re-generated cert, we’ll next check if it is configured user certificates auto-enroll for domain clients in the domain group policy. If auto-enrolling is configured, it will re-generate for rightful domain users.

You may refer to the following article to check GPO settings.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/core-network-guide/cncg/server-certs/configure-server-certificate-autoenrollment

Hope this helps. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 14, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

If you would like further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:08 PM