none
Visio Reverse Engineer Wizard ODBC Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use the Reverse Engineer Wizard but am facing the following error when trying to connect to SQL 2017.

"your currently selected Visio driver is not compatible with the data source"

I can use the generic driver but this doesn't allow me to pull back information from schema's other than dbo, which isn't very helpful.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Pete

Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Pete,

What version of Visio are you using? As far as I know, we had better using the later version of Visio than the version of Server. Please update your Visio to the latest version to have a check.

In addition, please switch to Generic OLE Db provider and Microsoft® ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server for have a check.

This IT Professional forum is for questions, feedback, or anything else related to setting up and deploying the RTM release versions of Office 2016, Office 2019, and Office 365 ProPlus. I suggest you ask question at SQL server Forum for help. For more information,you can read Reverse engineer an existing database into a database model.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, April 5, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi Herb,

Thank you for the information.

I'm using the 365 version of Visio. Didn't have that ODBC driver installed, but I have now. Sadly doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The generic driver does sort of work, but I can't pull back views and SPR's using that one.

Kind Regards

Pete

Friday, April 5, 2019 11:22 AM
  • Hi Pete,

Sorry for my delay. Have you resolved the issue yet? If you have any updates, feel free to let us know.

Are you using Visio Online Plan 2? You can also install Visio Add-in for Database Modeling to check if it works.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, May 3, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hi Herb,

I still have the issue. It is Visio Online Plan 2 I am using and I have the Visio Add-In for Database Modelling installed as this is the thing I have the issue with.

Regards

Pete

Friday, May 3, 2019 7:31 AM