none
Windows 10 Start Menu not populating with MDT 2013 Update 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using MDT 2013 Update 2 to build a deployment image for our company. The image I am using is Windows 10 Enterprise x64 and the source image is fully patched from Windows update. I have customized many aspects of this image, but I seem to be having a rather odd issue...

When deploying this image to a computer with a solid state drive, the start menu does not populate correctly. To be more clear, icons that have been pinned to the start menu will never appear. I can only reproduce this issue on a computer with a SSD. When I use the exact same MDT Image on a computer with a conventional HDD or a VM, I do not encounter an issue. It is only when deployed to a fast SSD, does this issue become apparent.

I have tried creating a task sequence to import a start menu layout, but, this does not work.

Has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone know of a potential fix?

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi

How are you creating the Start Menu??

You can use this guide from CCMEXEC.COM http://ccmexec.com/2015/09/customizing-the-windows-10-start-menu-and-add-ie-shortcut-during-osd/

I works every time.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:49 PM
  • I have already tried the idea from CCMEXEC.COM and it does not work. The start menu remains blank when used on a solid state drive.

The way I create my start menus is as follows:

1. I have a baseline image in trhe form of a VM

2. I use Export/Import-Start layout commands in powershell to inject the start layout into the default user profile

3. I use sysprep and imagex to capture the image, and then I put the wim into MDT 2013 update 2

It is very important to understand that this issue happens only on a computer with an SSD. I have tried dozens of solid states drives and dozens of computers with solid states drives, and 100% of the time the start menu fails to populate when a SSD is involved.

Any answer that goes along the lines of "do not use a SSD..." is completely unacceptable.

At this point, I would be happy with a Powershell script which automates the pinning of icons to the start menu.

• Edited by Jon Lyons Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:25 PM