none
Migrate users with folder redirection to a new trusted domain

Question

• Hi Guys,

I am working on getting rid of our single labeled domain i inherited.

Currently I have set up a test environment - copy of our production domain, created a new domain DC, and set up a full trust between the domains.

For the migration - I tried using forensIT as recommended on another forum but i'm having issues with the folder redirection, it's just not working.

The folder redirection for the test environment resides on an independent server - not a member of any domain, and available for anonymous users.

Users have their profile on the default domain, and after migrating to the new domain - they no longer see their desktop.

Any advice? what's the best practice for moving users to the now domain?

Thanks!

Sunday, December 18, 2016 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi

First you should migrate Users with ADMT;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974332%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Then move user profile data using robocopy or xcopy or File server migration tool then change the profile path with ADModify.net tool http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996216(v=exchg.65).aspx

Also check this ; https://niktips.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/moving-active-directory-roaming-profiles-to-another-server/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi Assaf,

The folder redirection for the test environment resides on an independent server - not a member of any domain, and available for anonymous users.

>>>To change the folder redirection, first, you need configure the folder redirection to Redirect to the local userprofile location. Then change the setting the Create a folder for each user under the root path with your new path.

In your environment, I suggest you try to configure group policy with Redirect to the local userprofile location for folder redirection. Then migrate user with profile by ADMT(here is an article below may be helpful to you). Then configure folder redirection in new domain.

Translate Local User Profiles

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974340(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Thanks guys,

I am now trying to use the "Redirect to the local userprofile location." option, maybe that was the problem.

Il'l try and see if it works better.

As for ADMT, why should I use this instead of the simple and easy forensIT?

I tried it, but it doesn't seem very helpful, user and computer account are created in the new doman, but I still need to move the workstation between the domains myself..

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Thanks guys,

I am now trying to use the "Redirect to the local userprofile location." option, maybe that was the problem.

Il'l try and see if it works better.

As for ADMT, why should I use this instead of the simple and easy forensIT?

I tried it, but it doesn't seem very helpful, user and computer account are created in the new doman, but I still need to move the workstation between the domains myself..

The "Redirect" option didn't work as well.

Trying to use ADMT along with it now.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

As for ADMT, why should I use this instead of the simple and easy forensIT?>>> Forensit migrate user account over the computer.But ADMT migrate domain acount so you should migrate domain account.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 1:09 AM