Strange Screen Shaking/Bouncing RRS feed

• Question

• Every so often in both IE and Firefox the window containing the webpage starts to bounce up and down. The top part of the window is completely stationary. It's like the mouse wheel is stuck between two stops and Vista keeps moving it back and forth between them.

Going to another webpage will sometimes clear it. Refreshing doesn't seem to have any effect.
    Could be a graphics driver problem although I've only seen it in the two browsers so far.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    GeForce2 MX-400/64MB
    512MB Ram
    Asus A7V333 Motherboard

Any ideas?

[Edited to add]

Changed the graphics card to an ATI Radeon VE7000.  Problem still exists.
    Friday, September 29, 2006 1:57 PM

All replies

• This problem due to Graphic driver, you should have installed Vista compatible driver so that you can change screen resoultion/refresh rate in order to make your monitor stable. If you changed your display resolution, restore it to default value and try it back, it should work properly.

Good luck

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 7:55 PM
  • The default Vista graphics drivers are installed, however I can't see how this would make an individual window's contents jump up and down whilst the rest of the windows open are stable.  Even the frame / menu bar etc of the jumping window is stable.

It's very strange.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 2:55 PM
  • that would not be a driver problem then, at least, not graphics driver

have you tried a different mouse?

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:12 PM
  • I've just tried a different mouse (a standard microsoft wheel mouse), and I still get the same problem. It's very strange.

[Edited to Add]
    I've found a workaround - it seems that its the Vista Basic colour scheme has something to do with it - if I change to Windows Standard, the problem disappears.

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 8:34 AM
  • I too am having this issue, although I've only noticed it in firefox under vista so far.  Very strange!
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:24 PM
  • It may be the Yaha.E virus. Check out http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/yaha_e.shtml

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:51 PM
  • It could be the Yaha.E virus. Check out http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/yaha_e.shtml

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:52 PM
  • I do have exactly the same problem. The whole webpage bounces up and down, but the window, frame, menubar, and statusbar seems to be stationary.

I am on the latest version of the Screendrivers. I have reverted back to the default Vista display colors/theme - no difference.
    It happens in IE and Firefox.
    I have run an antivirus and Spyware programs, no problems found.
    I have the default Vista Firewall active.

Sometimes when I do a Google search, it stops. If I open another tab in Firefox, it should be stable until I close the latest tab, then it starts again to bounce.
    It does not happen on the same machine with XP Pro - same hardware, just on Vista.

Any more Ideas? It really is VERy annoying.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 12:31 AM
  • Why is my Firefox window bouncing?
    This is a bug and it is caused by your 'Bookmark Toolbar' being empty. You can either add a bookmark to it by drop and dragging a link on the toolbar or you can hide this toolbar via 'View->Toolbars->Bookmark Toolbar'.
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:54 PM
  • Thank you compmike19. This fixed the problem! I notified Mozilla with a link to this forum. Thanks again.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:28 PM
  • https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=247116 is tracking this issue on the Mozilla side.
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Instead of going to VIEW and unchecking Google, go to the Google setting and uncheck "Bookmarks" and you will still have your Google SEARCH field.  I just did it, however, the shaking and bouncing had already stopped.  So I hope this fixes it.  (When I put Google in the search box while it was bouncing and right-clicked on the mouse to hold the cursor on the google link, it stopped bouncing).  Then I was able to access this post.  Wish me luck.   Note: it has been happening about once every two weeks.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 3:46 PM
  •  compmike19 wrote:
    Why is my Firefox window bouncing?
    This is a bug and it is caused by your 'Bookmark Toolbar' being empty. You can either add a bookmark to it by drop and dragging a link on the toolbar or you can hide this toolbar via 'View->Toolbars->Bookmark Toolbar'.

Many thanks my friend! This fixed it.

Note this only happened after I used MOZbackup to import my firefox settings and bookmarks. It worked perfect before that.
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Thank you very much compmike19.  That solved the problem.
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Many thanks!! That fixed a very annoying problem. :)
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:48 PM
  • its a very simple problem that I also had and i only fixed in firefox since i do not like to use IE the way you solve it is by adding a bookmark of any kind to bookmarks toolbars folder  that folder is in your bookmarks menu I dont know why the problem is that but it is and thats how you fix it
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:08 PM
  • I just found this thread and thanks so much!  I never use the bookmark toolbar but stumbled into a windows market place site which, oh so helpfully, apparently opened the toolbar and bookmarked itself!  When I deleted it - poof...shaking screen.  You have saved me much unhappiness.  Mazel-tov!
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:25 PM
  • The above solution that I reported, back when, fixed it.  I have not had bouncing screens since then, on 2-1-07.  Two months clean...and counting.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I had the same issue and searched relentlessly for a cure.  If your screen does not jump when in a stationary mode then it's unlikely it is the graphics driver.  My problem was identical to yours and this is what I found.  The culprit was a bad mouse and driver.  I ended up purchasing a new mouse and loading new drivers.  Try a different brand name mouse other than your computer brand.  No problems since.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:02 PM