Cannot access sites from Application server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a setup with a dedicated application server, three front-end servers and an SQL server. From the front-end servers and from the outside, I can access all my sites just fine. However, from the Application server, I can only access the Central Administration.

Whenever I try to access the sites I simply get this message:

Error
    File not found

All application pools are running just fine, I am an administrator and should have access, and as said, the sites work fine from any other computer/server.

This also results in a lot of errors in the event log with ID 2424, because the indexing search service is running from the App server.
    Example:

The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Application 'ssp.intranet', Catalog 'Portal_Content'

Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi

Can you ping the DNS hostnames for your web applications from the application server, and if so do they resolve to the relevant IPs for your front end servers?

Perhaps you have some entries in the hosts file?

The reason I think this may be the case, is because you can access Central Admin which presumably is NOT load balanced and thus you are connecting directly to one server via it's hostname. If your DNS is working properly then everything should be fine connecting to different web applications on the same server that hosts central administration.

Conrad Goodman MCITP SA / MCTS: WSS3.0 + MOSS2007
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:20 AM
  • It looks like a wrong configuration. Usually if you have dedicateted application server it does not run "Windows SharePoint Services Web Application" service and it is not included in NLB. To get the indexing working you have to run Index role on Application server and Query roles on WFE servers. To get current configuration you can use STSADM -o osearch -action list
    Oleg
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi

Can you ping the DNS hostnames for your web applications from the application server, and if so do they resolve to the relevant IPs for your front end servers?

Perhaps you have some entries in the hosts file?

The reason I think this may be the case, is because you can access Central Admin which presumably is NOT load balanced and thus you are connecting directly to one server via it's hostname. If your DNS is working properly then everything should be fine connecting to different web applications on the same server that hosts central administration.

Conrad Goodman MCITP SA / MCTS: WSS3.0 + MOSS2007
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:20 AM
  • It looks like a wrong configuration. Usually if you have dedicateted application server it does not run "Windows SharePoint Services Web Application" service and it is not included in NLB. To get the indexing working you have to run Index role on Application server and Query roles on WFE servers. To get current configuration you can use STSADM -o osearch -action list
    Oleg
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Are you using Load balacing for these three WFE? Also can you check if site were provisioned on WFE (IIS config should look same like one of the WFE) if not then you have some serious problems.

Sameer Dhoot
    My Blog : http://sharemypoint.in/

Did I answer your question? If YES, Mark as Answer. If NO, reply with details to continue dialogue.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:24 PM