Vista Boot Problem - crcdisk.sys hang - Problem Solved but Not Solved RRS feed

• Question

• I have been experiencing the oft reported problem where my laptop all of a sudden hangs at boot up with the green scroll bar showing and won't load anything past crcdisk.sys when booting in safe mode.

None of the fixes listed on many forums would work for me but I have found a way to get my system to boot up.

I removed one of the two 2GB memory chips from the machine and rebooted.  Strangely, with half of the memory removed, my system now boots fine.

But this doesn't really give a total fix to my problem - I can still only run with 2GB of memory.  All attempts to put the second chip back in fail.

I suspected a problem with the chip or with the slot into which I was plugging the chip but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have tried Chip A on its own in Slot 1 - system boots fine
    I have tried Chip A on its own in Slot 2 - system boots fine
    I have tried Chip B on its own in Slot 1 - system boots fine
    I have tried Chip B on its own in Slot 2 - system boots fine

but

I have tried Chips A & B together, either way round, and the system won't boot and hangs in the usual places.

Can anyone think of why this might be happening and what I might be able to do to get my machine running with full memory again please?

Hopefully in the meantime, this 'fix' may help some people get back into their machines.

Samsung Q310 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 - Happy to provide more info if required but you'll have to tell me where to look ;-)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:45 AM

All replies

• Update

Since posting at the weekend I'm afraid to say that my problem has resurfaced.  The laptop has now hung in the usual way while running with only 50% (2GB) of memory installed

but

I have managed to get the machine to work by reinstalling the second memory chip and booting with 4GB installed again!

but

sadly this has now hung on bootup again :-(

but

now it boots fine by removing the second memory chip and booting with 2GB again!

Conclusion (Suggestion)

It is not the amount of memory installed that is causing the computer to recover from a hang.  It is the change in the amount of memory installed since the last successful bootup that is prompting the recovery.

I would love to hear from:

a) anyone who has tried this themselves
    b) anyone who could put my non technical description into a more technical context
    c) most importantly, anyone who could suggest a more permanent fix for my problem
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Update

Since posting at the weekend I'm afraid to say that my problem has resurfaced.  The laptop has now hung in the usual way while running with only 50% (2GB) of memory installed

but

I have managed to get the machine to work by reinstalling the second memory chip and booting with 4GB installed again!

but

sadly this has now hung on bootup again :-(

but

now it boots fine by removing the second memory chip and booting with 2GB again!

Conclusion (Suggestion)

It is not the amount of memory installed that is causing the computer to recover from a hang.  It is the change in the amount of memory installed since the last successful bootup that is prompting the recovery.

I would love to hear from:

a) anyone who has tried this themselves
    b) anyone who could put my non technical description into a more technical context
    c) most importantly, anyone who could suggest a more permanent fix for my problem
    I can suggest a more permanent fix: Reset BIOS values to Defaults. see my post over on Microsoft Answers.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:08 AM